The Dragon's Scale

Relevant Tags: Contemporary Fantasy, Action, Adventure, Dragons, Male Protagonists, Humor, YA/Middle Grade

Summary

     When gym becomes a fight between reality and a burning forest, Josh Davidson realizes his recurring dream might be a sign he's going crazy. Especially when the school bully tries to murder him with energy fists. Not to mention his only way to survive is a voice in his head that won't shut up and a beautiful girl who can shoot ice arrows. 

     Turns out the truth can be crazier than insanity. The voice belongs to a dragon he's now soul-bound to and the girl is a Paladin, a group of humans like him. It's like a wish come true, and he cannot wait to join this new world of dragons and magic.

     Except the Paladins are not alone. A darkness is rising from its slumber, intent on destroying the Paladins and everything they stand for. When Josh's baby brother gets dragged into their plans, things get personal.

     With only a little bit of experience and a disjointed group at his side, Josh risks not only losing his brother -- he risks losing a war.

CHAPTER ONE

THERE WAS FIRE EVERYWHERE.

"Davidson."

Dark flames ate the surrounding trees as he sprinted through the forest. The fire turned the moonlight that slipped through the plumes of smoke into an eerie purple. Along with the enraged roars and shrieks of pain, it felt like he had run head first into his worst nightmare.

"Joshua Davidson?"

A loud creak broke through the crackle of the fire. He lunged out of the way before a burning tree could crash down on him. His heart twisted as he glanced back at the tree. This forest had been his home for his entire life, and now it was being destroyed without a second thought.

"Is Joshua Davidson here?"

A woman's anguished shriek broke through his haze. He shook his head and then continued bounding through the forest. A home wasn't the only thing he may lose. He had to find them before-

"Dude!"

Josh jerked as someone shook his shoulder. The blazing forest vanished, the school gymnasium taking its place. Curious students stared at him. A few snickered. Josh dragged his eyes from them to the one who had shaken him.

Tom, a guy Josh hang out with at school and played games with, glared at him. He pointed to their left.

Josh blinked, still adjusting to the abrupt scenery change, before following Tom's finger. Mr. Willis stood beside Mrs. Barlo. Both frowned in Josh's direction.

"Yeah?" He didn't know if he should be directing the question to Tom or the teachers.

Mr. Willis was the one to answer. "Glad that you could join us, Davidson. Here I was thinking you were absent," he said, then peered at Josh. "You okay? Seemed pretty out of it?"