2: Talk

Shaun sat there listening to Anton and Clayton speak about the incident with the human. Clayton had this strong vibe that has the lycans on guard.

"So, what kills the human?" Anton asked.

Clayton set a dagger down. "A few months ago, when my niece, Emma, came home after running away from home. Humans invaded our territory and tried to kidnap Emma along with our woman and our pups. Among them were Emma, her sisters, my son, and my wife." Humans tried to kidnapped Emma. Clayton sighed. "I couldn't save my wife or my brother, but I saved the rest of my family and my clan. I spent these few months tracking down that human, the man who started it all, and I killed him. It was my right, you may do things differently, but we track and kill. If we had let him go, he would've had gone back and brought more."

"I understand," Anton said. "But that human was in our territory when you took him down, and we can't have that."

"And for that, I apologize," he said. "Next time, we shall mark our border and make sure none of this ever happens. I don't want any problems among us since some of yours helped my niece when she was alone."

"Helped?" Anton frowned. "Who?"

"A man named Shaun," he said. "Anibal and Eliana."

"Shaun," Anton looked at him than at Anibal. "Anibal? You had a guest living with you, and you didn't tell us?"

"I didn't think it was necessary," Anibal said. "Emma wasn't a threat. And Eliana said it was best not to say anything since she knew Emma wasn't going to stay long." Shaun was shocked at Anibal for lying. "Look, I'm sorry it won't happen again, I promise."

"It's fine," Anton said. "Okay, so we need to understand each other more. I suggest we make peace, a pact."

"Fine by me," Clayton said. 

Shaun sighed.

After it was over, Shaun stood and left. He stepped out and stretched. "Hey, can we talk?" He looked at Emma. "If you have time."

"Okay," he looked around. "Come, we can talk and walk. I need to stretch. That conversation was long and exhausting."

"Okay," she walked alongside him. "How you been?"

"I been alright," he said. "And you?"

"I been okay," she smiled. "I mean, the first month back wasn't fun, I lost my father and aunt to those humans. My father gave his life for my sister and me. My aunt did the same thing for my cousin. Thought my father was ill, he was dying and decided to do something right. Though I wished he was alive."

"Sorry," he said.

Shaun led her down the path leading to the river. Once there, he stopped and looked at her. "You left because of what I told you about my marriage."

"Yes and no," she said. "Yes, because it's wrong. I didn't want to continue to sleep with a married man. It's not right; I'm not like that. Even if you're my soulmate, I will respect your wife. And no, because I sense something was wrong, and I was right. My father fell ill, and I'm glad I went back home to spend time with him."

"I see," he sighed. "And you're not going to be with me until Ariana dies?"

"If Ariana is too pass, I will wait for you to mourn," she said. "Than we can start all over, but if Ariana lives, then there can never be anything between us, I will find someone else."

"You can't do that," he glared. "You and I are soulmates, that can never change."

"I know," she said. "But I can break the bond if I mate with someone else. Shaun, I can't be with you if Ariana lives, she's your wife, she deserves better. Have you told her what we did?"