Chapter 7

- Family Business -

"We'll never be those
Kids again."

⚡️

"This is my half brother, Koden Ezekiel Ryle." Daylan introduced.

"You just had to use the middle name Clarkson." Koden scolded.

"Sorry Ezekiel, but it's too fucking hilarious not to." Daylan shrugged innocently.

Absitee sat dumbfounded. This was the great person who was going to give her answers? Nope, still completely lost until the name Ryle clicked.

"Ryle as in Ryle Industries?" She asked hesitatingly.

"That is correct."

Absitee had been locked in an orphanage for all her life, but when she was placed in a foster home, three names always stuck out both on television and in conversation: Ryle, Everly, and Paris.

Absitee had seen pictures of the soon to be Ryle heir, though she had to admit Koden didn't resemble him so much as he did Daylan. And to further her confusion, Koden was definitely older so why wasn't he taking over? And Ryle had never mentioned other children besides Joshua to the media or public events.

"You're confused I'm guessing?" Koden voiced. Absitee nodded. The two brothers seemed to share some kind of telepathic conversation before Koden began talking once again.

"Daylan's dad had a high school sweetheart, but she was contracted to marry Ferren Ryle, the current CEO of Ryle Industries. Before she would be officially wed, they shared one last night together and thus I was born. Ferren was furious, so he had an affair and that would now result in my sister Vidia. He claims neither of us were good enough to be Ryle inheritors, but in reality he wanted a pure Ryle to take over the Industries, which is how Joshua came to be." Koden explained to the confused orphan slowly.

The Ryles and Everlys had always had an estranged relationship. It was constant bipolarity. One day they'd be fine and drenching themselves with Dionysus with only the finest wines offered, the next everyone expects them to trigger World War III. That was basic knowledge.

"Yesterday night, I was with Koden doing business. He has stupidly made some enemies, so I had to come save him. We got into a fight, which explains last night. But anyways, Ryle Industries controls the black market, Hit Mans, assassins, spies, and even some drug activities. Ever since Koden has come back, people want him. He's a Ryle, so that makes him expensive. He's part Everly, so that makes him valuable." Daylan continued explaining.

"So if you take him, he can be used to control both families." Absitee pieced together.

"Exactly, knocking two birds with one stone. So I've been trying to protect him, but I think he secretly has a death wish."

"So all that sneaking out at night?"

"I meet up with him." Daylan confirmed.

"And your parents don't know about him?"

"My dad does, but he can't reach out to him because Koden is legally under the Ryle name. If he touched him, Ryle might file for kidnapping or child molestation or something outrageous."