X (rewritten)

"Come on, let's go." Elliot grabbed her by the hand and walked out of the high school with her in tow. Jacqueline followed him to his car and she slid in the passenger seat after he opened the door for her. She remained quiet as he started the car and pulled out of the parking lot.

"Where are we going?"

"My place." Jacqueline hummed in acknowledgment as he sped off towards his house. She turned to look at him and take in his features. His jaw was clenched and his hands were squeezing the life out of the steering wheel.

They arrived at a set of apartments that looked similar to those of which Wally McDermott lived in. She followed him soundlessly towards the elevator and waited patiently as it rose up to the penthouse level. "Are your parents home?"

"It's just my dad, and no." Jacqueline nodded and they continued to wait in silence for the elevator to ding and open up.

Once they were inside she started the conversation. "We didn't have to leave school. I'm fine, really."

"Jacqueline, I may not know you very well, but I know when someone isn't fine. You're not expected to be fine after what happened and it's okay to talk about it. Like, for instance, who was it?"

"Elliot, I think what you're doing is very kind and caring, but I can't tell you."

"Why can't you tell me?"

"Well, for one, I don't know his name. And it's frankly not really your business. I can handle myself on my own and I plan to handle this situation without anyone's help. I'm not some puny little good girl that can't do anything on her own. I grew up in this world and I was raised to handle myself and things that happen to me. I know how to handle this. I don't know what the girls you know are like and I don't care, but I am nothing like them. You've seen me in action before, Elliot. And I would like to think that shows just how much I can handle myself." The fierceness in her voice was deafening and Elliot was starstruck. After all, he was just trying to help this girl out of a situation that was unfortunate.

"I was just trying to help, Jacqueline." He sighs.

"I know, Elliot. I'm grateful for that, but I do things on my own. Always have, always will," Jacqueline said before ripping the scarf off and wiping makeup off of her eye, "This. These bruises here and there are signs of weakness. I blame myself for this. I wasn't being smart and that's why he held me by my neck and slammed my head against the concrete. I wasn't thinking and that's why he punched me in my face. If I ask for help in this situation I look weaker, understand? Now, if you'll kindly excuse me I have to go and find Wally McDermott."

"Wally McDermott? That's who did this to you?"

"No, Elliot. I told you I don't know his name."

"Oh, well, Wally lives in the penthouse in the building right next to this. I can accompany you." Elliot offered.

"No. Thank you for getting me away from school. This is my own battle, though." Jacqueline stood up and secured the scarf around her neck and slipped her sunglasses on.

"Goodbye, Elliot." She leaned down and placed a chaste kiss on his cheek and then sauntered out of his apartment.

Jacqueline knocked three times on Wally's door and it was opened and she was faced with Wally. "Two times in one week. I'm a lucky man." His smile shone brightly and she returned it with a fake smile.

"I'm here because I need your help. I met a guy here last night and I never caught his name. He was blonde and had pretty blue eyes and was probably around 6'3. I danced with him and then went up to the roof with him. Do you by any chance know his name?"