Chapter 9 : A Roller Coaster Of Emotions

Start from the beginning

Alya seemed absolutely disoriented and confused when she noticed a stranger before her.

She looked to my side and asked in a strained voice. "Nandini...what happened? How did I get here? Who is this lady?"

"Alya, you fainted! A doctor is here to check up on you..." I replied in a gentle voice.

She frowned upon hearing the word 'doctor' and immediately yanked her wrist out of the physician's hand.

"I feel fine, okay? I don't need a doctor! You can leave!"She yelled rudely.

The doctor seemed slightly taken aback by her outburst, but maintained her patience all the same.

"Alya, we need to talk...you need help..." The doctor said.

"No! I don't need any help, okay? Leave!"She said harshly.

The doctor was about to answer when I cut her off in the middle. "Doctor, just give us a few minutes...you can wait outside..."

She seemed doubtful at first, but ultimately acceded to my request and walked out of the living room.

No sooner had I sat on the couch after the doctor's departure, than, Alya held my hands, and asked frantically. "Nandini? What happened? I completed the task, so Manik is not going to eliminate me, right? Oh please tell me, what has he decided?"

I was shell-shocked at her question. Even after nearly drowning in the pool because of him, she still wanted to impress him and earn his forgiveness?!

"Alya, I saw how frightened you were up there! Plus, you could've drowned! Do you realise what this means? You could've died! And you're still worried about what Manik thinks?" I asked, incredulously.

"I need him to forgive me, Nandini! I need him in my life again. I made a huge mistake leaving him...once I earn his forgiveness, it'll all be okay..." She said, in a trance.

"Alya, you need to think about your own health first! You're ill, and you need treatment first...you know you have a problem, right? It's high time you admitted that to yourself! Tell me the truth-have you had any food since morning?" I asked gently, keeping my hand on her shoulder.

She immediately gave me a guilty look as she said. "I had some juice earlier...I thought that it would be fine...after all everyone was wearing a bikini tonight, and I feel like I've just been putting on too much weight recently, so I didn't eat anything..."

I was extremely saddened by her words.

How could someone so beautiful have such deep-seated body image issues?

"Alya, you don't need to starve yourself in order to lose weight. You're perfect just the way you are! If you do this, you'll just end up overeating later and spitting it all up!" I said as politely as I could.

"I...I'm...I..." She stammered, but before she could finish her sentence, her voice became completely choked and tears began to stream down her eyes.

In a matter of seconds, she was bawling her eyes out, and whimpering like a small child. My heart clenched as I saw her sorry state, and I instinctively engulfed her in a hug.

"Alya, calm down...Please calm down...It's going to be alright!" I said, trying to console her as best as I could.

"It's all my fault, Nandini! I'm the one whose responsible for my own pathetic state! I cheated on him, Nandini! I cheated on Manik! I was so stupid and weak! I left him and broke his heart! And now my own Karma is chasing me! I'll never be happy again..." She said, sending shivers down my spine.