● Chapter 13 ●

● Michael Stokes ●

Today is Marcus' court date. I'm a little nervous right now. This judge is tough as hell. Everyone that gets him doesn't want him. When he sentence you he doesn't care about what you have outside of the prison cell.

"Are you okay Michael?" Erica's sultry voice asked.

"Yeah babe I just don't want to lose this account." I lied. I hate lying to her, but this has to be a surprise.

"You won't trust me. Now go before your late." She said. I turned around to face her. I swear she turned me into a lost love sick puppy. I smiled down at her.

"You know I love you right?" She nodded.

"I'll do anything to make my girl and unborn baby smile. I can't imagine what I'd do without you. Ever since I met you at the diner I fell in love. I'm truly sorry for getting you fired that day. I was just angry that you turned me down. Being with you has made me the happiest man alive. No amount of money in the world could make me act the way you do, make me smile the way you do, or make me love the way you do. I love you and you mean the world to me." I said. I kissed her before I walked out.

《》

《》

《》

《》

《》

"My client did it to protect himself and child. His daughter was being held down by some unknown male while the mother beat her to death, almost. The father came home, but the unknown gentlemen got away. The mom then attacked the father. It was just defending and saving his daughter as well as himself." William argued. This was an intense case. The judge was a hard ass and the prosecutors were being bitches.

"We're going on a 15 minute recess. When we come back I will have made my decision." He said.

"How do you feel?" I asked Marcus. He preferred me to call him that.

"A little nervous, but I'll make it." I nodded. He's not the only one.

● 15 Minutes Later ●

"All rise for the honorable Judge Bill Colbert." The Bailiff said.

"You may be seated." Judge Colbert said.

"I have heard both sides testimony and my decision is to let Mr. Marcus Peterson free."

YES!

"He will be given back what he has lost for the past three years. This case is now dismissed." He banged his gravel. I never seen Marcus smile this much. He actually hugged me.

"Thank you." He said.

"It's the last I could do." I said with a shrug.

"We're going to follow behind you. Your going to get whatever you had at the facility. Once you have everything, we will be waiting for you outside." William said.

The ride to the prison was a happy one. It didn't take him long to come out. He was finally a few man. He got into the back of the SUV.

"I'm going to hide you at my penthouse. You're going to be Erica's something old at the wedding." He frowned a little.

"My father should already be there waiting. I have to go back to the office because Erica had been calling me nonstop." I said.

I had my driver drop him off first. Once he was settled in, I left to go to the office. Today was a long day. I was exhausted from being in court for so long.

When I got home or was after ten. I talked to my mom for a while then went upstairs to shower and get some sleep.

● Marcus Peterson ●

I was a free man! Steven, Michael's dad, offered me a job at his firm. It was better then nothing. Michael gave me his penthouse since he had no use of it. I didn't want to take it, but they wouldn't leave me alone about it.

After Steven left I went to shower. I just wanted to see my daughter, but I had to wait two more weeks. I can't wait to see my baby girl's face.

My little girl isn't so little anymore. I say to myself looking at the pictures Michael gave me.

I sat on the side of the bed staring out at the city with tears in my eyes. I would've never thought I'd have this chance again. I'm a free man. I can walk out the door whenever I want. Eat, sleep, and shower whenever I want. The three years I did all I did was pray and fight for this day and it's finally here. I wiped my tears falling back into the bed.

I made it.