peter then continued the story and told them how ennis went after paige at the school.

"poor paige." marcie said.

"ennis? why would she chose him?" cora asked.

"why not? ennis needed a new member for his pack. paige was young and strong. doing a favor for derek meant ennis would be in good with talia. back then, everyone wanted to be in good with her." peter explained.

"he doesn't remember it was ennis, does he?" stiles asked.

"if he does, he keeps it to himself." peter replied.

"so then what happened? did he turn her?" stiles asked.

"almost." peter replied.

"he came at ennis. 15 year old boy, against a giant. there was no reason for him to fight. she had already been bitten." peter said.

-

"i wasn't surprised when deaton came to arrange a meeting with deucalion. as william blake said, "any sinister person who means to be your enemy always start by trying to become your friend." gerard said as he sat in a chair and scott and allison did as well.

"how do you know he wasn't going there to make peace?" scott asked.

"because i'm not an idiot. do you know that sanskrit fable of the scorpion and the turtle?" gerard asked as scott nodded.

"yeah, that scorpion asks the turtle for a ride across the river." scott began.

"and when the scorpion stings the turtle, dooming them both, what does he say to explain his behavior?" gerard asked.

"it's my nature." scott said.

"i know a werewolfs nature. i knew exactly what was coming... a trap." gerard said.

"they attacked you?" allison asked.

"it was an ambush." gerard replied.

-

"so did she turn?" cora asked.

"she should have. most of the time the bite takes, most of the time." peter said.

"when you offered it to me, you said, if it doesn't kill you." stiles said.

"if." peter said.

"she never made it." marcie said.

peter explained how he found paige and derek, paige was in derek's arms and derek turned to peter and said. "what's happening to her."

"he knew the answer, though. didn't matter that she was young and strong. some people just aren't made for this. but she fought. she struggled desperately, trying to survive." peter continued.

"i remember taking her body from his arms, to the woods, to a place where i knew it would be found. another in a long line of beacon hills animal attacks." peter said.

"and what about derek?" cora asked.

"taking an innocent life takes... something from you as well, a bit of your soul... darkening it, dimming the once brilliant golden yellow to a cold, steel blue... like mine." peter said showing his blue eyes.