I never brought them here, not even Victoria. They would look at it with disgust, knowing it didn't live up to their standards. Lacey was different and didn't thumb her nose at the beach house. She had been curious about it. I noticed that when I found her looking around. Most people would consider it snooping. She wasn't going through drawers or any place you shouldn't be checking.

I caught her in the one place I would never expect, the den with my books collected throughout the years. Then I found her asleep with my favorite book, Little Women. A book I read countless times because of the strength of the characters. It was a book I would learn from my sister. She was like Beth March in so many ways.

I noticed the time and realized it was time to leave. I came downstairs after having changed into a black suit. I preferred black when I was having a business dinner. It's distinguished and sharp. It also presented to the people I was having dinner with, which made me a force to deal with business.

I came downstairs to find Lacey waiting for me. I opened the front door to reveal Cruz awaiting us. We walked out to the SUV and climbed into the back. He pulled away as he drove us to a business dinner that would prove so prosperous.

Lacey

Vincent and I spoke little on the way to dinner. I was still thinking about his offer. Cruz pulled up to a restaurant I had seen many times but never entered. While I had been to many fancy restaurants, most of the time, my time with clients comprised their hotel rooms.

We exited the car and walked into the restaurant with Vincent placing his hand on my lower back to guide me. It was a gentleman like a move unaccustomed to me.

A hostess greeted him, ignoring me. This snub didn't go unnoticed by Vincent, who's tone was short and curt with her. He also informed her he prefers the lady in his life treated with decency and respect. I watched him scold her in front of the other diners as a man-made his way out to us, apologizing. He must be the manager.

He took over, dismissing the hostess. He attended to us with the guarantee he would be the only one taking care of us tonight. Vincent was more annoyed by this than pleased. He didn't enjoy hovering and despised it except for me. I found that very odd.

We sat at a table and handed menus while awaiting the person we were meeting with for dinner. He leaned over to me. "Remind me not to bother with this place again."

"I know it annoys you," I informed him as I moved my hand, feeling a hardness in his pants, "but we can deal with that later." I gave him a look as he looked back at me as I removed my hand from his package.

A few minutes later, the hostess showed two men to our table and sat with us.

"Vincent," one man greeted him.

"George," Vincent replied as I watched them.

"And who might this be?" The other guy asked.

"This is Lacey, and that's all you need to know," he informed the other guy, his voice laced with a warning tone.

"Relax, Vincent," he told Vincent. "This is a business dinner."

"Robert, I expect you to handle the closing of deals. Do not inquire about my company," Vincent replied, his tone firm.

I reached over and placed my hand on Vincent's as I held it, causing him to cradle my hand with his own.

"Please excuse Vincent for his abruptness. He is a little overprotective of me. As you have worked for him long enough, this shouldn't surprise you," I spoke. They looked at me, and Vincent sat there seething. His grip tightened with my hand. I dug my nails into his palm, causing him to release his hand from mine.

He shot me an irritated look, and I knew what that meant when we returned. Right, he would understand a few key details about me.

We sat there as our dinner arrived. While I ate my meal, I listened as Vincent and the men discussed a business deal. What caught my attention was the fact it was the company my 'mother's husband' owned.

They discussed the details of gaining the company, dismantling it. Then they would sell it, leaving them destitute. As much as I hated the woman, I would never seek revenge like that. I would rather watch her sink on her own than to help.

I finally spoke, "No."

The three of them looked at me as Vincent leaned in and whispered, "Excuse me, I'm discussing business."

"Which would be because of me? That's not a good business, that's a poor business," I informed him.

He narrowed his eyes at me. "Do not tell me what is or isn't good business. Now I want you to sit there and eat your meal. You are here as my company," he responded in a way that appalled me.

"I'll tell you what, you finish your business without me," I replied as a matter of fact. I stood up as George and Robert did the same, followed by Vincent. I looked at them and said while trying to maintain my composure. "Gentlemen, it has been a lovely evening, but I must leave now. Goodnight." With that, I walked away and out of the restaurant.

I didn't care if I pissed off Vincent; he pissed me off. I exited the restaurant noticed by Cruz, who got out of the car.

"Miss Powell?" He looked at me, confused.

"I'll walk home," I informed him.

"I don't think Vincent would approve if I allowed you to do that," he reasoned.

"Well, I don't give a shit what Mr. Powers thinks or approves of with me. Do not follow me and do not inform him," I told him as I handed him the cell phone that Vincent gave me. Knowing him, he set it up to track me and my movements. I wanted to be alone.

I turned and walked down the sidewalk and, at one point, removed my shoes, walking barefoot. It was a lovely night for a walk.