Abandonment

Vincent

Last night Lacey was quieter than usual, and I knew it had everything to do with the information she told me in the tub. I had Cruz locate her birth mother to find out where the hell she was. Whether you are a parent, the child should have the chance to find answers if you choose not to be a part of their life.

I knew my parents were pompous asses that didn't deserve parents' titles since they were never one with me. Throwing money at children doesn't replace love and affection. It leads children to believe a false sense of reality and entitlement.

I may have an obscene amount of money, but that didn't result in my happiness. I would give it all up in a heartbeat to have someone care about me.

When Cruz picked me up for my meeting, he handed me a file with the information I requested. I looked through it, reading through the data. Her mother lived thirty minutes from here in Crestwood. I knew of the area; most high-class people lived there.

As soon as I finished and returned to the beach house. I would offer her the chance to confront the woman who abandoned her years ago. Then she would receive the answers she needed.

Lacey

Vincent returned a few hours later, informing me he located my mother. He suggested that I see her and thought he was nuts. I wouldn't even know what to say to the woman when I saw her.

We argued, then I relented. Vincent would not let this go, and I decided it was time to confront her. Since she had no issue walking out of my life, I have no problem facing her.

Before we did anything, we ate before traveling to see the woman I claim as my mother. I knew nothing about this woman, but that she left when I was young. I don't remember her.

Vincent drove us to the address, and we pulled in front of an enormous house. It was a house way more significant than I had ever seen. Even the beach house was a shoebox compared to the sprawling mansion that lay before my eyes.

We walked up the walkway to the front door. When we reached it, I took a deep breath then knocked. Vincent stood beside me as I waited for someone to answer.

We heard footsteps walking towards the door before it opened to reveal a woman with red hair.

"Can I help you?" She asked us. Her tone was polite and straightforward.

"Are you Alayna Powell?" I asked her.

She looked at me. "No, my name is Alayna Miller," she answered with no emotion.

"But you were once Alayna Powell married to one Arthur Powell, right?" Vincent questioned her as she looked at him, showing a slight irritation.

"No, you have the wrong person. I never married someone named Arthur," she lied.

"You're lying," I accused her. She looked at me while her brows furrowed. "We have the same hair color and the same eyes. You're my mother. Why do you deny that I'm your daughter?" My voice increased when I asked her.

"I don't have a daughter. Now, will you please leave my property? I'll phone the police to report trespassers," she demanded.

I stood there, confused.

"We'll leave, but you can afford to spare five minutes to speak with Lacey," Vincent suggested.

Before she responded, we heard a man's voice, "Who's at the door, sweetheart?"

"It's no one dear, but some pesky solicitors. They'll be leaving," she lied again. She turned and looked at us as she crossed her arms. "Please leave."

She would not speak with me, and this was a mistake coming here. I turned and walked away, but Vincent stopped me.

"Mrs. Miller, I forgot to introduce myself to you. I'm Vincent Powers; your husband's company is having some difficulties. It would be a shame for me to gain it and dismantle it, leaving you destitute. I'm sure you have become accustomed to your current lifestyle you lived," he mentioned to her. Her face distorted into horror.

"Are you threatening me?" She questioned him through gritted teeth.

"I assure you I do not threaten. Call it a simple negotiation. You give Lacey five minutes of your time, then I leave your husband's company alone," he offered her.

"Fine, but five minutes," she agreed as she stepped out onto the front porch, closing the door behind her. She stood there as I stared at her. Then I asked the one question I wondered about my entire life.

"Why did you abandon me?" I asked as she looked at me.

"Because I never wanted you or that life," she answered as I felt the wind knocked out of me. "I met your father on a job. I became pregnant and forced to marry him. He was a nasty drunk that treated me horribly. One night I left, never looking back," she told me as I looked at her.

"You never wanted me?" The question slipped past my lips. I stood there as I felt so many emotions at once.

"I was an escort who people paid to sleep with them. Your father was a client who thought he could 'rescue' me. He lied, and I was in a situation I didn't want. I never intended to get pregnant and wanted to end the pregnancy, but he decided we should keep you. You were a mistake that should have ceased from the beginning. Are you satisfied?" It filled her tone of disgust when she used to be an escort like me. It's like mother, like daughter.

I turned and walked away from that spiteful wench. I couldn't stand there any longer listening to her spew hateful things at me.

Vincent

As soon as Lacey went back to the car, I had a few choice words for this woman that gave her life.

"Mrs. Miller, you are a disgrace," I informed her.

"Excuse me," she spoke, acting offended.

"You stand here spewing hateful things to a woman that only wanted to know why you left her," I told her.

"And I gave her an answer."

"It was a poor one at that. Do you think that because you met a rich man, live in a fancy house, drive expensive cars makes you classy? It covers up what you are, a spiteful bitch. You might have forgotten where you came from, but I sure in the hell didn't. Enjoy your luxuries while you have them," I mentioned as her face contorted in horror.

I turned around and walked back towards the car. I pulled my phone from my pocket and made a call as soon as I reached the car.

"George, it's Vincent. I want the paperwork on Miller, Inc. I know I said I didn't have any interest in it, but I've changed my mind. Contact Lee and inform him I have a sweet business deal for him he cannot refuse. I want you to have Emmy set up a dinner meeting tomorrow for us, and I'm bringing a company," I instructed him as I ended the call. Spew hateful things towards someone who didn't deserve it, then find out how ruthless I can be.

I drove us back to the beach house as Lacey stayed silent. I knew this hurt her. We arrived back, and she got out of the car, running into the house. I went after her as I saw her run through the house and out the back door. She ran towards the water and stopped. I ran towards her until I reached her.

I touched her arm as she turned around, revealing tear streak cheeks.

"Why didn't she go through with it? Why did she give me life only to find out they never wanted me? Why?" She cried as I looked at her.

"Because she is a despicable woman that doesn't deserve the life she is living. Lacey, she may not want you, but I do," I confessed as she looked at me.

"What?" She looked at me with confusion.

"I want you more than anything. I would wait until our deal expired to offer a fresh arrangement. There is no contract, rules, or stipulations. All you have to do is to agree," I informed Lacey as she looked at me.

She didn't respond to what I suggested to her. All she did is wrap her arms around me and buried her head into my chest. I would be patient and await an answer from her, even though I'm one of the most impatient people around. For her, I would wait for an answer. I hope she says yes.