Business is business

Lacey

In our lives, we chose a path that sometimes benefits us and sometimes doesn't. You have people who attend college and discover their dream careers. Then the others fall into a business they never expected. I was the one that ended up in an industry I never expected, the escort business.

Growing up, I dealt with an alcoholic father and a mother that abandoned me. I didn't have stellar grades to get into a university. I didn't come from a well-to-do family, driving a nice car, or having designer clothes. I grew up poor.

I attended school and passed with abysmal grades. My grades were enough to graduate and move out. When I turned eighteen, I packed what little I had and left. I was done with living a life subjected to my father's alcoholic ways. He prefers a bottle over caring for me.

I worked odd jobs, scraping money together. I stayed in a homeless shelter until I could afford a single place. Living in a homeless shelter wasn't bad, but it wasn't ideal either. You always have to be careful with your stuff, or someone would snag it.

I needed something better than this life. With no hope for my dream career or lifestyle and what most people desire, I made do with the best that I could manage.

While working at one of my low paying wage jobs, bussing tables, a man beckoned me. He dressed in a designer suit and tie. His black hair coifed to perfection. What the man was doing in a dump like this is beyond me?

"Excuse me, has anyone ever told you you could model?" A man asked with a curious look.

"Nope," I scoffed. The fact was that this man was trying to pick me up. It's the worst pickup line ever.

I watched as the man reached into his suit coat pocket and pulled out a business card, extending it towards me.

"Take it," the man offered as I reached out and took the card from his hand.

I examined it to read Carter's Modeling Agency.

Looking at the man, I had to wonder if this was a joke or real.

"This can't be real," I told the man as I looked at him.

"Oh, it's real, and if you're interested, I would love to have you. It's your choice. You can continue to work in a place like this, earning meager wages or doing something more with your life. It's all about choice," the man answered as he slid out of the booth and stood up, buttoning his suit coat.

I looked at the man like he's insane. This offer does not happen in actual life. The rags to riches stories are fantasy. This situation was anything but that.

"My number is on the card. Call me if you're interested," the man added before leaving.

I stood there, looking at the card while shaking my head. I have my doubts. I'd sleep on it for a few days, then decide.

After a few days, I decided against the offer. You never know what kind of scam people play. I continued with my low-paying jobs, getting hassled. As a fighter, I fought back, causing me to lose my employment. I refused to have people treat me like trash.

Coming back to the homeless shelter, I found my stuff ransacked, and all my earnings went. Searching around the sanctuary, people denied taking it along with the people that ran it. I was furious.

I went over to the cot I slept on and plopped down, feeling defeated. Why couldn't I catch a break? All my life, I had to struggle, and as an adult, I struggled even more. That's when I remembered the man in the designer suit and his business card.

I pulled it out and looked at it. I didn't have a phone to call the number, but there was an address. What did I have to lose? Grabbing my ID and wallet, I left the homeless shelter and walked the ten blocks to the card's address.

Once I arrived, I entered the building and made my way to the business card office. Upon entering the luxury office, I saw women dressed in designer clothes. She had her makeup done and her hair styled to perfection.

I walked over to the front desk as a well-dressed woman finished a phone call.

"Can I help you?" The woman smiled at me.

"Yeah, I'm looking for a guy named Carter," I answered, holding the business card up at the woman. She smiled, showing her aligned white teeth.

"She's been waiting for you," the woman replied as I looked at her with confusion. She? I thought the man whom I met was Carter.

The woman stood up and led me through a hallway to an office as she opened the door.

"Carter, you have a visitor," the woman announced. Carter swirled around in her business chair and looked at me. She was an attractive mature woman with coifed silver hair. She wore designer clothes and an expensive manicure.

"Thank you, Syble. You may leave us alone." Carter dismissed the woman as the woman turned and left, closing the door behind her.

I stood there, eyeing Carter up and down, then looking around my surroundings.

"I was expecting a guy," I told Carter. I didn't bother to make eye contact with her.

"That would be my assistant, Rafe. I send him to find new prospects for me. You can have a seat," Carter gestured to a chair in front of her desk.

"Nope, I'm good standing," I answered as I looked around the office.

"Okay, then must we discuss employment opportunities?" Carter suggested as I walked around, looking at the pictures on the wall.

"Yeah, sure, let me guess. You make me some big fancy model and throw a ton of money at me," I commented as I looked at Carter.

"We refine you and teach you the proper way of doing things. How much money you make depends on the job and how well you do. It's up to you," Carter explained.

"I see, and what about clothes?" I questioned Carter.

"Again, that's up to you. Everyone that works here has learned all those things and more. I know you're suspicious, but I assure you I run a business here. All you have to do is say yes," Carter said.

I looked at Carter. Anything would be better than what I have going for me right now. It would give me a chance to get a place and get out of the shelter.

I have a feeling the minute I said yes, it would be nothing like I expected.

"Fine," I agreed as a smile curled upon Carter's lips. Something told me I made a deal with the devil.