Chapter Fifteen: A Fight For Survival

(REVISED VERSION)

🥀

Nathan rushed into the police station, his forehead beaded with sweat. It had been five months since Michelle went missing, and he had never stopped looking for any leads about her disappearance.

As he approached the desk, he spotted Kevin sitting across from the detective, his fists slamming onto the table. "What the hell are you talking about?! That dead body will never be my sister!" Kevin shouted.

Nathan was taken aback, "Dead body?" he thought to himself. He decided to approach them and join their argument. "Kevin, what happened?" he asked.

The police officer sighed and massaged his temples before addressing them. "We've been searching for Ms. Wright for five months, but we had no leads. Throughout our search, we found a body on the side of the road."

"How can you be so sure that the body you've found is my sister?!" Kevin demanded.

"We're not telling you that it is your sister. That's why we wanted you to personally look at it because we couldn't recognize the face anymore and the victim wasn't wearing anything," the detective explained.

Nathan patted Kevin's shoulder. "We should go to find out the truth."

"I can't stand the thought that she's dead," Kevin replied, shaking his head.

Nathan asked the same question that Kevin had said earlier, "How can you be so sure that it is your sister?"

Kevin was silent for a moment before looking up at Nathan with furrowed eyebrows. "You're right," he said.

Later, Kevin stood in Michelle's room with slumped shoulders when the doorbell rang. He opened the door to see Nathan with a man in a dark coat. "Uh, who's this, Nathan?" Kevin asked.

The man offered a handshake. "I'm Clyde Jackson, a private investigator. Nice to meet you, Mr. Wright."

Kevin shook his hand and invited them in. As they sat on the sofa, Clyde pulled out a notebook and pen. "So, tell me everything from the very beginning up to the last," he said.

Nathan whispered to Kevin, "The police surrendered with the case, Kevin. It's our turn to make our move."

🥀

Zach walked into the room with a grin on his face, carrying a tray of food for her. As he unlocked the door, he noticed her sitting on the floor with her eyes fixed on her lap.

He entered the room and crouched down in front of her, setting the tray down on the floor. "You should eat something, honey," he said softly as he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, causing her to flinch.

She was silent for a moment before glancing at the meal. "I don't feel like eating that."

"You've been like this for a few days now. Can't you at least try to eat something?" Zach asked with a hint of frustration. He stared at her for a second before sighing and running his fingers through his hair. "Do you have any other suggestions?"

Without responding, she turned her head away from him. Zach shook his head and picked up the tray, walking out of the room with a heavy heart.

As soon as he was out of sight, she scrambled to grab the knotted blanket and headed to the bathroom. She tied one end of the blanket around the steel pole that held the shower curtain and tugged it to make sure it was secure. Then, she climbed onto the toilet and opened the window.

It wasn't her first time attempting to escape. She had tried countless times before but always failed. The bruises and cuts on her body were a painful reminder of her past failures, but she was determined to keep trying until she succeeded.

Looking outside, she saw that she was on the second floor of the house. It was risky, but she had to take the chance. This time, she knew that if she didn't escape, he would kill her.

She threw the blanket out of the window and started to lower herself down. As she went down, she could hear him singing in the kitchen. She tried not to panic as she made her way down the blanket. She was so close to the ground when she finally let go and landed on her feet.

She looked around to make sure he wasn't there and then sprinted away from the house. She knew the way through the woods by heart. She had done it so many times before. After an hour of running, she finally reached the end of the forest and saw the abandoned road. Without hesitation, she ran as fast as she could along the empty road, hoping that she was finally free.

She ran as fast as she could, her heart pounding in her chest. Suddenly, the sound of a gunshot filled the air, making her scream out in fear. She stopped in her tracks and turned around to see him standing there, pointing a gun at her.

He had threatened her so many times before, but this time was different. His eyes were dark, and there was an eerie aura surrounding him. Michelle tried to run again, but a searing pain shot through her leg, causing her to collapse on the ground. She looked up at him, fear and desperation in her eyes.

He approached her slowly, and she tried to crawl away, but it was no use. He crouched down beside her, and she couldn't help but sob uncontrollably.

"I just wanna go home," she whimpered, hoping he would show mercy.

"That's why I'm here, darling," he replied, his voice cold and menacing. He grabbed her arm and lifted her onto his shoulder.

Michelle knew she had to act fast. With a sudden burst of strength, she hit him hard on the back, causing him to fall to the ground. She scrambled to her feet and reached for the gun in his pocket.

He laughed, taunting her to shoot him. But Michelle didn't hesitate. She fired, hitting him in the leg, just like he had done to her.

He screamed in agony, but then started to laugh again. "Wherever you go, I will never stop bringing you back to where you belong," he spat out.

With a determined look on her face, Michelle held out her hand. "Give me your phone," she demanded.

He flinched as she fired another shot into the ground next to him. "Okay, okay!" he yelled, throwing the phone at her.

Michelle grabbed it and started to run away as fast as she could, still wincing in pain. "God, please help me!" she cried out, hoping for a way out of this nightmare.

🥀

Finally had the time to revise this chapter. I have been very busy with school and work.

Anyways, feel free to vote and like if you are liking this chapter so far. Share your thoughts in the comments!

So long!
creepy_stalker199