Chapter 29: Cooking with a 🌹Fashionable✨ Robot

By Jen Joyce

On the last chapter of: "Roses and Ferns", and the fourth chapter of the "Old Wounds, New Friends" Arc

While setting up traps and cages for the upcoming attack from Raymond's other siblings, Carol and Raymond interact with one another and began connecting with each other, despite the obvious differences of them being a hero and a villain. While this was happening, however, Shannon finally finishes explaining what she, Darrell, Jethro, and Mikayla are going to do to Fern. Will Fern and Friends prevail? Will Shannon and Crew manage to tie Fern to the Bodega roof? Will we get some answers in this chapter? Well, no, you won't, it's mostly a character/relationship growth chapter; but I'll tell ya one thing, it'll be filled with cute moments and friendship, with just a hint of foreshadowing.

   After all of the traps were set up, K.O. and Carol had to leave since; K.O. was already gone for just over half an hour already and he got a few worried texts from Enid and Rad about his extended absence and Carol had some shopping to do for dinner tonight, and she'd rather get it done before the stores closed.

   "Are you two sure you're gonna be okay for the next few hours?" K.O. asked, hugging Fern tightly.

   Fern simply smiled pulling away from the hug so that she could look at the worried child. "Don't worry K.O. Raymond and I will be fine. I may not be a hero or well-trained in fighting, but I've got a strong, athletic robot as my boyfriend," Fern looked over to Raymond, who was conversing with Carol about something. "And if I know him, he'll do whatever it takes to keep me safe."

   With Carol and Raymond, the two of them were talking about when the former would return to help out the two lovebirds. "Are you sure you'll be here on time?" Raymond asked, tapping the tips of his pointed index fingers. "Father has a business trip tomorrow a-and has to leave early, so he'll probably send the others to bed earlier than usual."

   "Don't worry, Raymond," Carol said, patting Raymond's shoulder, his spikes still within the confines of his metallic body. "K.O. usually does his homework at the Bodega during his break, so once we're done with dinner, we'll speed on over here before they get here." Carol's words seemed to have calmed down Raymond if only a little; his shoulders had slumped slightly and his worried expression seemed to have softened a tad bit.

   "Thank you, Carol," Raymond said, smiling. "Thank you."

   The blonde mother smiled in return, knowing that she'd made Raymond feel just slightly better about the whole situation. After bidding each other goodbye, K.O. and Carol began making their way back to the Bodega, with a packet of the rare version of those little capsules animals -- that Fern gave to him to prove that he did get something from the backroom -- in tow. Fern and Raymond watched the mother-son duo leave out of their range of sight, eventually losing sight of them.

   "Well," Raymond began, the first to speak. "What should we do now?" Raymond looked at his Rose, seeing that Fern had a look that gave away that she didn't really know what to do now.

   "Uh..." Was Fern's reply, which only confirmed Raymond's suspicions.

   "You have no idea, do you?" Fern only shook her head, a small blush arriving on Fern's cheeks. "Well, perhaps we can do something together? Like watching a movie or just relaxing on the couch."

   "Hm. That sounds like something we could do." Fern thought about the idea for a second, an idea popping into her head not too long after. "Or we could cook something together!" Raymond's eye widened slightly -- though it wasn't really noticeable -- and a knot of nervousness forming in his artificial stomach.