Chapter 8: Fern's Admirer

By Jen Joyce

Rad's POV

   It's been hours since the Plaza officially opened up, hours since Fern fixed my van, and hours since I talked to her this morning. Everytime Fern walks past me, I just look down at the floor and continue with whatever I'm working on. 'I think Enid and K.O. are starting to get suspicious about my behavior.' I thought to myself as I was mopping the floor. "Hey, Rad." Enid asked me. I turned my head around to face Enid, who had her feet on the counter while wearing some cools sunglasses. "Y-Yeah Enid?" I asked uneasily. "How come you've been so quiet lately? It's not like you to be like that." She pulled her sunglasses slightly down to look at me better. 

   "Oh, w-well, I, uh, had a rough night's sleep." I stuttered. 'Nice one, Radicles.' "Okay, is that why you keep looking away from Fern every time she passes by?" She asked suspiciously. I was shocked that she knew about my weird behavior since today. 'Dang it.' "Um, w-what do you mean by that? Heh heh..." "Oh come on Rad, did you actually think that I wouldn't notice you looking away from Fern when she passes by? Now tell me, why are you acting so weird."

   I wasn't sure on what to do. Enid is already suspicious of what's wrong with me. I decided that I should tell her, but not out in the open. " *sigh* Okay, I'll tell you, but not out here. I'll tell you in the breakroom." I said to her while I put the mop away with my levitation beam. She shrugged before saying; "Eh, okay. As long as I get an answer." She got up from the register counter, putting up a "LANE CLOSED" sign in the process, and went to the break room. I followed her after putting the mop away.

   When I went in, I saw that Enid was at the table. I went over there and took the seat that was opposite of Enid. "Okay," I began. "So, you know how Fern has only been her second day working here?" I asked. "Yeah, I do." Enid replied, nodding. "What's your point?"

   "Well, earlier today my van stopped working in the parking lot. I tried to find out what the problem but couldn't. After like, an hour later, Fern came over to where I was an wanted to help out so I let her. She asked me if I checked the battery and I said 'No.' and she checked it and it turns out that the battery was the problem and-" "Stop." I was interrupted by Enid. "I get it now."

   I was confused on why she now got it, I didn't even get to the part of my crush on Fern. "Y-You do?" I asked. "Yeah, and you have no reason to feel any less about yourself." She said, smiling sympathetically. "I mean, I know you aren't the best when it comes to fixing your van," Wait, what? She thinks that I'm embarrassed about Fern doing a better job at fixing my van than I am? Eh, it's better than admitting to her that I have a crush on her, I guess. "But just because Fern can do it better than you, doesn't mean you have to feel like you're useless."

   I decided to play along with what Enid was saying in order to avoid being made fun of by her. "Y-Yeah, you're right! Thanks, Enid!" I turned around and was holding the doorknob before I faced Enid to say one last thing to her. "Uh, you're not gonna tell anyone about our conversation, are you?" "Heh, no, I'm not." She got up from the chair she was in.

   "As long as you actually work and not turn away from Fern." "Heh, sure, no problem." I opened the door and I got back to mopping the floor while Enid was back on the counter -- in her usual position, of course -- while she got out her phone. 'Whew, that was way to close.' I thought to myself. 'Enid almost found out about my crush for Fern. I'm just glad she thought I was embarrassed and not crushing on Fern. Though, I'm not sure how long she's gonna believe that lie for, she could figure it out anytime.'

   As much as I don't like being negative, it was true. Enid could figure out that I have a crush on Fern and poke fun at me for the rest of my life! I really don't want that to happen to me. After a while of deep thoughts about Enid finding out, my thoughts went to Fern. 'How am I suppose to act around Fern now? I mean, she probably thinks I'm embarrassed about her "doing a man's job", but really, how am I gonna act around her after today?'

   I continued thinking about the events that happened today. I just couldn't take my mind off of them for the rest of the day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Well looky what we have here! I made a chapter that didn't involve Fern or Raymond talking! Also, sorry for the short chapter, I've been trying to figure out a way for the filler chapters to be written and all that stuff. And don't worry, I'll be doing some time skips that are only a few weeks long or so. I don't exactly have much to say about this chapter, to be honest, but I'll try. *Take a deep writer's breath*

Well, looks like we get Rad's side of the story while Fern was texting Raymond. Enid almost found out about his crush, but luckily for him, Enid thought he was just embarrassed that Fern fixed his van when he couldn't.

Fun fact: I actually planned on having Rad admit that he has a crush on Fern, but I decided against it because I thought having his crush for Fern would be more...well, that's spoiler territory.

Anyways, I might as well end this chapter here and now so, until next time, keep making the right choices in you're life and never follow strangers into mysterious vans!

-Jen Joyce                              1-17-18

Words = 1,031