The Night

Slowly the darkest shadows began to ripple and contort. They rose off of the ground, and slowly took on a tangible form. They took on the form of a man with darkness rippling from his body. His features were all undiscernible save for his glowing red eyes that made him look like the stuff of nightmares. Fear filled your heart, but you did your best to hide it. "My, it has been so long since I've seen that defiance. Is that any way to look at the one who created you?"

You gritted your teeth. "You are nothing to me, Amatsu, but a murderer."

"How you look at me is meaningless. You're going to give me what I want, one way or another." 

"Like hell I will." You growled, as you drew the sword at your hip. The blade gave off a golden glow that chased away the darkness that hung around you. 

Amatsu's eyes widened. "So, that's what happened to your mother's sword." He noted. Before you had time to react, he'd crossed the distance between the two of you. His hand gripped your throat, and he slammed you against the ground. The air was forced from your lungs, and his hand kept you from taking in a fresh breath. With what energy you could muster, you slashed at him. A wall of solid darkness blocked his side, and the blade bounced off. "That sword may be powerful, but it's nothing but a toy in your hands." He sneered. 

Realizing the futility, you willed your body to transform. Amatsu growled in annoyance, and leapt lightly away. Your body rippled, and slowly took on your truest form. Your nine tails lashed about, and the fire around your paws scorched the grass. 

"Do you really think attacking me like that is wise?" Amatsu questioned. He snapped his fingers, and an orb of darkness appeared. Out of the portal of shadow, a boy emerged. It was the same boy Nanami had saved from the fallen gods in the park. He wore an expression that was smug and condescending. "Will you attack me all the same, and endanger a human?" Amatsu chuckled.

What do I do? I can't let that kid get killed because of me. He's an asshole, but he's still just a human. You thought to yourself. 

You took a tentative step back, and that proved to be a mistake. Amatsu took advantage of your hesitation. He snapped his fingers, and the shadows around you solidified. They shot towards you like spears of night from every direction. You could do nothing as dozens of them impaled your flesh, fortunately not fast enough to penetrate bone, and then returned to their original form. You staggered, thin lines of blood running down your fur. With one last shred of effort, you reverted to your human size.

"Come now, you've already tried that. Why not try running?" Amatsu mocked.

"I don't know what you did to convince that human to help you, but I won't let you do as you please." You barked. You were breathing heavy, and your body screamed in agony. You were in no shape to fight another god, especially not a god like him. You'd wasted the vast majority of your energy restoring the barrier, so you didn't have enough to perform another transformation on your own.

"So, you're finally giving in to your fate." Amatsu smirked.

"Fate... my ass." You hissed. 

Why not let me have some fun? A voice hissed in your mind.

You smiled. "Fine, Sora, I'll let you run a little wild, just make sure not to kill the kid." You stated aloud, as your form once again began to ripple. When your form finally settled, it was that of a large dragon. The scales constantly changed colors, cyan, ruby, lavender, green, so on and so forth. 

"Giving me such stipulations." Sora growled in a deep voice. "If you weren't the host of my vessel I'd bite your head off for such insolence." The dragon huffed aloud, before turning to face Amatsu. "So, you are the brat that I've been allowed to fight. What a joke."

"I apologize for causing you such problems, oh great dragon. However, I wish only to release you from the shackles that bind you!" Amatsu called, as he stepped forward.

"I care not for your actions. I have been permitted a little freedom for the first time in centuries, so I hope you will give me a good show!" The dragon lunged forward, and snapped at Amatsu with his teeth. The fallen god dodged, and Sora spun to follow. As he turned, he flicked his tail. His long tail slammed into the human boy, and sent him flying. The boy smacked into a tree ten meters away, and fell motionless to the ground.

Amatsu snapped his fingers again. As had happened before, the shadows solidified, and shot towards Sora like a thousand needles. However, unlike before, the shadows were incapable of penetrating his ever changing scales. Amatsu growled in annoyance, before turning his face to the still open portal of darkness. "It's time!" He shouted, as he continued to evade the advancing dragon. 

Sora slashed at the fallen god with his talons, but he only managed to slice his arm, though it was more than enough. Black blood dripped onto the grass, and the fallen god clutched his wounded arm. Sora charged to continue his attack. 

Pain exploded in his head, causing him to veer off course. He crashed into the trees, and collapsed. He shook his head, and glared at the fallen god behind him. "You worthless brat." He growled. "To use my hosts weakness against me." The pain flared again, but Sora forced himself up, and leapt into the air. Instead of charging his enemy, he shot past him. 

No longer able to hold his form in place, it dissolved midair. You regained control of your body just in time to crash into the ground. You left a trench in the ground, the dirt piled around your form. The pain and exhaustion weighed down your body like a boulder. 

"Dammit. Stand guard. If she steps out, grab her!" You heard Amatsu shout, before you lost consciousness.

------------------------------------

"Come on, open your eyes!" A voice shouted to you from the darkness.

"Please, Milady!" Another voice called out.

You forced your eyes to open. Above you hovered a pair of lavender eyes, and another pair of teal blue. "Tomoe, Ryuu..." You whispered weakly. 

"Thank goodness." Ryuu sighed. 

"(Y/N), are you alright?" Tomoe asked urgently.

"I'm..." You stopped. "Is something burning?"

"There were some nuisances that wouldn't let us past the barrier." Tomoe grumbled. You looked over his shoulder to the mass of yokai that had been hovering around the barrier waiting hopefully for you to move outside.

You turned to look at him better, and your eyes widened. "Wait, your a yokai again?"

"We had something we needed to return to Lord Ookinushi, that Kotetsu was able to use to turn me back." Tomoe explained.

"Milady..." You turned to look at Ryuu, who looked depressed. "I was also returned to my yokai state! Why did you not notice?" He whined.

"Sorry, Ryuu. You look pretty much the same." You chuckled lightly.

Ryuu's face fell. "How cruel, Milady!" He whimpered like a kicked puppy.

"I'm sorry that I didn't... notice." You apologized, your head growing fuzzy from the pain and fatigue once again.

"(Y/N), you need to tell us what happened here." Tomoe interrupted, noticing that you were fading out of consciousness again.

"Amatsu..." You whispered, before passing out once again.

-------------------------------

"Amatsu? But isn't that..." Tomoe started.

"Her father." Ryuu growled. "I shouldn't have left her alone."

"All that matters is getting her back to the Divine Assembly so they can tend to her wounds." Tomoe stated. He lifted her up gently, and started heading towards the Grand Shrine.

"Hold up!" Ryuu protested. "We're no longer bound by the contract of familiars. We aren't allowed to enter the Grand Shrine!"

"I'd like to see them stop me."

-----------------------------

Since I neglected you all for so long, here's a short chapter to follow up.