Chapter 59

******************

******************

My eyes constantly scanned the crowd, searching for Dristan as I stood at the base of the grand staircase. I tried my best to remain calm and relaxed as I greeted countless Fae, Dragons, Wolves, Brownies and Sylphs as they slowly trickled into the ball room. The back of my hand had been kissed by nearly everyone in the Aviary.

Soft, beautiful instrumental music filled the enormous room as a band of skilled musicians played on stage. This music was so different from the music I'd heard the last time there had been a party here. There was a formal feel to tonight's party. All of the patrons were dressed immaculately. I was grateful for the dress I'd chosen to wear.

My searching eyes found Dristan in the crowd, on the other side of the ballroom. He was talking animatedly with a group of Wolf Chimera, all of whom looked happy and relaxed. One of the males leaned close to him and said something into his ear. Dristan threw his head back and laughed. He clapped the male on the back and then took a sip of his whiskey, his eyes twinkling with humor over the brim of it. He looked exceptionally happy and carefree tonight. A smile spread across my lips as I watched him.

The whole Aviary had heard about what happened. Talk of what Dristan had endured was everywhere. Looking at him now, it was as if nothing had happened to him at all. He looked healthy, strong and happy. Part of me wondered if he was acting so jubilant because he wanted to put the people's minds at ease. Or perhaps it was because of last night and the joyful day we had shared together. Whatever the reason was, I was glad for it. Seeing him this way would not only lessen the people's anxiety, but my own as well.

He looked divine. His suit was pitch black, the dress shirt beneath it crisp and white. The top two buttons were undone, and I found myself biting my lip whenever my eyes trailed over the hard planes of skin exposed there. He was always handsome, but I seldom ever saw him in a suit.

Usually, he wore his fighting leathers and armor

Usually, he wore his fighting leathers and armor. At home, with me, he wore lounging clothes. Or no clothes... My cheeks heated at the memory of this morning. His lips on mine, his hands on my body, his breath at my ear...