Chapter 6

(Pictured above : The Bakru)

*******************

I counted each tree we rode past. The trees were beginning to thin out as we finally drew toward the maw of the forest. It's lush, green mouth would spit us out into the unforgiving terrain of the southern mountains. And once we trekked through those, we'd finally arrive at my doom. Each tree we passed seem to mock me.

I had just counted the two hundred and thirty second tree when the shouting began. The horses halted, my own mare nickering and tugging against her reins in protest as I pulled her to a stop.

"Get them!" The Captains voice rang out from the front of the line. "Bring me their heads!"

I could not see what or whom he was referring to. The soldiers in front of me were too tall. I craned my neck, desperate to see what the commotion was about. The shouting grew louder ahead, and in return, the soldiers in front of Dristan and I dismounted. They drew their swords and bolted for the front of the line, leaving a clear line of sight for me in their wake.

I blinked, stunned, at what I saw.

Bakru!

A dozen or more Bakru stood in our path, each armed with a heavy wooden spear, tipped with a large blade. I had never seen one in person, but I'd heard enough stories to know what they were right away. I glanced at Dristan and waited for him to dismount and join the fighting, waited for him to drag me along with him, but he only watched in calm silence.

I swallowed and turned my gaze back to the scene before me, watched as the soldiers ran toward the group of Bakru. The creatures did not stand down, or even look alarmed, as the armed men ran for them.

The Bakru were not a wise sort to quarrel with. They were small, ranging from three to four feet, but they were vicious and unpredictable. And as they were half made of flesh, half made of wood, they were naturally armored and hard to kill.

They had huge eyes and bulbous noses. Their skin was pale and hard, like birch wood. Thick, white fur crowned their heads and trailed down their spines, ending in long, furry tails. They were dressed in varying outfits, some in tattered rags, others in leather cloaks. I might have said they were somewhat cute, aside from their hideous, sharp teeth.

The Bakru were forest gnomes, protectors of the woodlands, and not friendly from what I'd been told. I'd once heard a story that they would help one do unsavory deeds. But it was said to be unwise to make deals with them. They were master manipulators, deceitful and wicked, and would find ways to make you pay for their services with more than what you bargained for. Perhaps your very life.