The Rain Song

Josh and I lazily wandered back to the beach, it was chilly and we were still very drunk. I felt his hand on my lower back guiding me down the path. When he wasn't trying to dominate me he was the sweetest, goofiest person. "Do you remember our discussion in November? You know after we..." I wiggled my eyebrows at Josh "We've had sex twice now and you can't say kiss?" Josh replied in a whisper. "Ok ok, but do you remember?" I slurred. "Yeah, I said we probably could never make this work with me being on the road and you living in New York." I stopped walking, it hurt to hear it out loud again. "Yes that..." Josh turned and grabbed my shoulders. I looked up at him, he was only a couple inches taller than I. "Is that still true? Can we still not make this work? I don't know if you know this but you're the only person I've ever wanted. I used to practiced kissing my pillow named Josh..." I was too drunk to be embarrassed by this. "Yes I think I always felt the same way, interesting fact about the pillow though, I'll save that one in my memory to embarrass you later." Josh said laughing. Josh grabbed my hand to continue walking "I think we could work out some sort of deal though, since we'll be together all the time now... let's keep it between us for now, I don't need Sam kicking my ass, he's much taller than me." I kissed him hard in agreement and we continued down to the tents on the beach.
"Want to look at the stars before we go to bed? I'm still feeling drunk." Josh agreed and we laid our blankets down to look at the stars. Josh took my hand and held up my arm in the moonlight. He took his other hand and traced the tattoo on my inner forearm. I had four sprigs in a circle, parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. Josh hummed 'Scarborough Fair' by Simon & Garfunkel as he traced the inked lines in my skin. I closed my eyes as he did this, lulling into a deep sleep on the chilly beach but feeling very warm next to Josh.
I woke up to the sound of the waves crashing and the wind moving over my cold body. Thankfully, it wasn't a terribly cold early spring, but cold enough that my nose felt frozen in the morning air. We fell asleep on the beach and I was dead hungover. I turned to Josh and he was still fast asleep. "Josh wake up, your sister is coming today and we have to pick up your dumb brother from somewhere." Jake just texted me that he needed to escape from the local girl's house. Josh moaned and turned the other way. The Kiszka boys love their sleep. I walked over to Sammy's tent and told him Jake needed to be rescued. Sammy got up and pulled a sweater over his head and threw his long hair into a messy bun. Why did he look better than I did? I ran to change into my hippie pants and a white tee, sliding my Birks on "Let's go get that dumbass."
Sammy and I drove to where Jake had dropped a pin and he quickly jumped into the bus. Jake was wearing his clothing from the night before but had no shoes on. "Jacob, that is not your thing, that's my thing, where are your boots?!" Sammy yelled at his brother. "I don't know, man, we got very drunk last night and I slept with a towny, I hate fucking townies. I think she was going to propose... and I think she stole my boots. Did you and Josh do anything else after I left, Kaz?" Why did I always feel like these boys could see through me? "We just had a couple more drinks and then looked at the stars for a bit, I think Josh is still asleep out there. Anyway, I feel like shit, we need pancakes and it's totally about to storm."
We got back to the beach and hurried the two sleeping boys back to the house. We left the camp site and decided we would just cover our wood with a tarp. Once we were inside, Jake started whipping up some breakfast. I laid down flat on the kitchen floor, out of Jakes way. "Are you going to survive this, Miss Kazmierski?" Sam said leaning over me. "I'm not sure, Samuel, these other dummies had me drinking tequila, wine and beer, I don't think my body is going to last, tell my mother I love her." Jake playfully kicked me softly in my side. "Well breakfast is ready, can you last long enough to eat?" Jake laughed, placing pancakes on a plate. We all sat down and enjoyed our breakfast together while the storm rolled over the lake.
Around 3PM Ronnie and Mackenzie showed up to the house, running inside to avoid the rain. Kenz and I hugged tightly, exchanging loving words. After she greeted everyone, she and Danny went upstairs immediately to reacquaint after so much time apart. Ronnie and I sat down at the dinning table to chat and she immediately read my face. "Who's the boy?" "What do you mean?!" I said back quickly. "There's a boy I know it, you're glowing. Is it that guy from UMass? He was hot." "No Ronnie, I swear! I'm just enjoying my time, I'm actually very hungover so I'm probably glowing from all of the toxins inside of me." Ronnie turned her head towards her brothers, Josh winked at me with a huge grin on his face, not noticing that his younger sister was looking right at him. Ronnie turned her head back to me "You've GOT to be kidding me." "Whoa whoa whoa, Ronnie, no way. Keep your voice down." I said, blushing deeply "LEEYUH ok ok, sorry. Ew but ok. Is he being nice to you? Jesus fucking Christ." Ronnie whispered. "Yes Ronnie, it's Josh, he wouldn't hurt a fly. Just don't say anything, Sammy will freak out, please?" I said while gripping Ronnie's arm softly "You've got it, babe" she said in an exasperated tone "but seriously... ew." I skipped over to Sammy and jumped onto his back to avoid any other discussions and Sammy ran around the house with me in tow.