Chapter 20

It was the day of the meeting, Arian and Brian rode silently through the woods, towards their destination. Arian sat faced away from her mate as her thoughts attacked her, she knew this meeting would be like the others. Many of the ruling Alphas believed that rogues would one day destroy her pack, but it had been many years, and some Alphas were beginning to plot. The Rikers Pack was known for their barbaric ways, and many claimed they had seen the devil in her eyes. She knew who she was and what she stood for. She knew that the men who sat at these meetings were less than her: less stronger, less smarter, and less knowledgeable.

 Arian knew that the more she knew, the more she could anticipate. When she first became Alpha, she made sure she knew her fellow Alphas more than they knew themselves. She studied behavioral patterns, mannerisms, their methods of war; she wanted to know it all, and so she did. She was more cunning than most would give her credit for, stealthier than most. Of course, her pack has been kept hidden for years, so she had to know a thing or two. Though, they all knew to never attempt to look for her pack; it was a death sentence that the council had even agreed to.

Brian kept his eyes locked out of the half-opened window, every ride in a car was a new experience for him. He could see new sights, breathe new scents, he enjoyed the new freedom he had gained with his mate. It had been a few months since he had arrived, and yet, he still did not know Arian fully. He knew all the bad things, how she got her pack, seen her kill a rogue mercilessly, but he wanted to know more. What was her favorite food? What was she scared of? What was her favorite movie growing up? He wanted to know if she liked the snow, or maybe if she preferred the sun. He wanted to go to an amusement park with her, and watch her face as the ride shoots down. He wanted to have these little life experiences with her, he wanted all of her, but he knew it would never be possible. 

Brian took a glance to the left of him, watching as her lips pursed and her eyebrows scrunched together, she must be thinking about the conference, he thought. His eyes moved back towards the trees whooshing on by them.

The car soon came to a stop at a large black gate, warriors of the pack stood on each end of the opening, another circling the car, "Identification," Leo, the driver, handed Arian's identification card to the warrior with greying hair. The warrior threw a glance across the car to his comrade, "open".

The car drove for another ten minutes before reaching its intended destination.

Arian got out first, quickly scanning the area, "come, mate. It is safe to exit." Brian threw a smirk his mates way, he was sure he could take care of himself now, but of course his mate would never let that happen.

"Arian, why wouldn't it be safe," he asked sarcastically.

She threw him a glare, "bite your tongue, before I do it for you"

She turned and led the way. Her mate followed closely behind as the driver began to unload the suitcases. Arian knew her way around the palace, she had visited the council more than enough times to be acquainted with these halls. She would never say it aloud, but she always felt safe in the palace. 

The royal pack and the council watched out for her, she knew it was because of her cousin and her grandfather. However, she appreciated it. She enjoyed the weight leaving her shoulder when she crossed the main hall, she walked at a brisk pace, hoping to claim her room. She had stayed over many times for meetings, and by now, every Alpha knew which room was hers, but she knew they would try and take it first to spite her. She tapped her foot against the ground as she waited for the elevator to open. Brian had arrived mere seconds before the elevator had opened, she's so fast today, he mused. Brian watched as the elevator doors closed just as the driver had arrived with the suitcases, "don't worry, he knows where we're going" she spoke suddenly.

Once the elevator doors opened to the third floor, she was on the move once again. She walked quickly, turning a corner and landing at the furthest door at the end of the hall, "hurry, mate" she called as she burst open the door. She smirked at the lack of luggage in the room, I win again. 

Arian always chooses this room, due to the view from the balcony. She had the best view of the mountains, and no noisy neighbors could be heard from here. She couldn't help but feel happy as her mate walked through the door and began to explore the room. She waited to hear his thoughts on it as he walked out onto the balcony.

"Wow! This is beautiful" Brian smiled widely, "I can see why you were in such a hurry" he laughed.

A knock sounded before Arian could reply. The luggage had arrived. The driver placed the luggage to the corner of the room, then excused himself. "Goodnight, Alpha"

"Goodnight, Marvin"

She shut the door with an urgency, "so I take it you like the room"

Brian nodded, "of course."

"Good".

The pair went off to ready themselves for bed as the night grew later. Brian changed quickly, only a pair of sweats covering his pale form. He moved to the bed and lay over the covers waiting for his mate to get out of the conjoined bathroom. Brian shook his leg in anticipation, he had been trying to bait his mate for a week to be more intimate, but his plan always seemed to fail. Tonight, he has his chest on display for her eyes only, he wanted her to see the definition in his body, the growing muscles and toned abdomen. He had even asked his friend from the pack, Derek, what he should do. All his friend could say was to try to appeal to the Alpha, he couldn't imagine the Alpha would take being disrespected in anyway, even from her mate. And so Brian just waited, would more could he do?

Arian finally finished combing out the tangles in her hair, her blood was beginning to boil at the knots that just didn't want to come out, but she could only blame herself. It was her choice to keep throwing her hair into a messy bun without combing it. Though she didn't think it would turn into a birds nest by the third day. She slipped on her robe, and made her way out of the bathroom,

only to stop in her tracks.