Part Twenty

Part Twenty

Lia’s POV

I was grabbed a mug off the side to make a coffee for the man who I had just served, but I wasn’t concentrating and I dropped it on the floor. I just watched as it shattered into little pieces. The loud crash brought me back to my senses.

“I’m so sorry,” I muttered as Mary bustled over to me, “I’ll clear this up, can you make this man a black coffee?”

“Of course,” Mary smiled and I picked up the broken bits of the mug and threw them away.

I sighed and turned back to the counter to serve the next costumer. The rest of the breakfast rush hour went in a blur and soon there were only a group of two girls and two boys in the corner. I was cleaning the table, thinking about the kiss… and the memories it brought back.

Why am I so stupid and naïve? Why did I say what I said? What did Zayn say back to me? And why can I only remember those few seconds?

I heard a clatter and looked down; I saw I’d knocked off the menus from the table. I sighed again and bent down, picking up the menus and placing them neatly back on the table.

“Lia, dear, are you okay? You seem very out of it today,” Mary walked over to me and gestured for me to sit down.

“I’m sorry, I’ve just got a lot on my mind,” I apologised as we both sat down.

“Talk to me, get it off your chest, child,” Mary tapped my hand lightly.

“It’s just… Zayn kissed me this morning,” I couldn’t stop the smile that appeared on my face.

“Oh, that’s great Lia… isn’t it?” She frowned as she saw my look of disagreement.

“Yes… but I told him I wasn’t ready for a relationship, after Dylan,” I explained further.

“Are you sure about Zayn?” She asked me.

“Yes,” I answered with a definite nod.

“Do you want to be with him?” She asked, even though she knew the answer.

“Yes,” I nodded again.

“Then what’s your probably?” She smiled kindly at me, “Zayn’s a lovely lad- well what I’ve heard- and he obviously likes you, so what are you worrying about? If it doesn’t work out, then I’m sure you’ll still be friends afterwards.”

“That’s not the only thing… when I was in hospital I was diagnosed with short term memory loss… when Zayn kissed me, it brought back a little bit of the memory…” I sighed, why was I so idiotic?

“What was that, dear?”

“Before I blacked out… I told Zayn that I loved him.”