Part Sixteen

Part Sixteen

Lia’s POV

My eye lids fluttered open, the sunlight streaming through the window startled me slightly, this is England were talking about, we never get sunshine. But there was a better feeling overwhelming me this morning. For once, I hadn’t woken up afraid. I twisted my head to the side slightly, and there was Zayn sleeping peacefully. His mouth was hanging open slightly, small snores escaping every so often.

I gently eased myself from his arms and climbed out of bed. As I stretched, I winced, touching my ribs tenderly. The signs of Dylan were still on me physically, but the emotional attachment to him, the love I felt for him was long gone. Zayn was helping me...a lot. It was the second day of me being out of hospital today.

I quietly creeped over to my wardrobe and pulled out a pair of blue skinny chinos and a plain white long sleeve t-shirt, along with some underwear. I entered the bathroom and placed the clothes on the toilet lid, turning to face the mirror. Just as I thought everything was going well, my reflection reminded me.

My hair, it was gone. Leaving me bald. Every girls’ worst nightmare. The dark purple bruises rimming my eyes, and of course the ugly scar which crawled across my scalp. “It’s okay, it’s okay,” I mumbled, my shaking hands reaching for my foundation and concealer.

I opened the concealer and applied a thick layer to my face, hiding the bruises as best I could, then a thick layer of foundation over the top to even it out.  But through all my attempts, the purple still showed, but not as bad as before. I turned away from the mirror, not wanting to look anymore, and quickly changed into my clothes, squirting perfume on my wrists

 “Lia?” Zayn's husky morning voice yelled, his knocks on the door becoming more urgent. I slowly opened the door, letting him in.

“What are you doing?” Zayn questioned, his eyed still half closed, his hair flopping over his forehead.

 “I was, uh, getting dressed,” I stuttered, not meeting his gaze, keeping it firmly fixed on the ground.

 “Don’t lie to me Li, what’s wrong?” Zayn seemed perkier now, his finger lifting my chin.

 “Do you not see?!” I cried in despair, my lower lip beginning to tremble. Before Zayn could even reply, I did it for him. “I’m ugly! My hairs gone, I’m scarred, I’m bruised, I’m broken Zayn,” I whispered, tears threatening to spill over.

 “Don’t you ever say that, you’re not ugly, you are so beautiful Li.”

 I shook my head, “Don’t Zayn.”

 “You'll get better, you'll heal, and your hair? It’s going to grow back. But right now in my eyes, you’re beautiful,” Zayn whispered, his eyes never leaving mine. I let out a long shaky breath, and attempted a smile.

 “That’s better, now go get some breakfast,” Zayn smiled, kissing my forehead before leaving to find some clothes. I padded into the kitchen, flicking the kettle on. I pulled out a packet of bagels and bacon, preparing to make bacon bagels. When the bacon was cooked, I shoved it into the bagels and left two on a plate for Zayn.