Red Zone Recovery (26)

Silence is heavily enforced as I follow Cooper's lead alongside my men, we keep up the stoic persona without words escaping our sealed lips. Various people slide pass my vision as I continue the walk towards this Reception Chamber.

Priority number one, ensure Daniel Cooper's safety at all costs. That thought was a constant echo, chiming in every now and then, it's significance amplified by the palpable tension.

There isn't really any sense of danger, despite my lack of familiarity with the surroundings. But the risks however minuscule, still have to be taken into consideration.

I trust my men to respond accordingly to any change in the situation. This section of the palace is an unknown to my men, this isn't the case for Cooper judging from his definitive strides. None of the guards seem to mind us prancing around, or even approach us to demand an explanation for our presence, which is unexpected.

The palace retainers to the rear still remain adamant on sticking to our tail, their shared curiosity is now more than a little concerning. I stop to glare at them, wordlessly telling them to back off. They seem to get the message.

"That's right...." I internally praise myself, adding a self affirming nod for good measure as I watch their retreating forms.

With the pursuers no longer in visual, I turn my sights back to the front.

This is the western wing, the hallway's colour scheme changes significantly, what was once awash with a royal golden tinge is now an alien purple.

With a careful set of eyes, I take notes on the details of this new hallway. There are no more cerulean windows to be seen, which means the outside world is isolated from us.

There is only the distinct echoing of footsteps to punctuate the silence, my ears registering the sharp drummings as hard military boots made contact with the marble flooring.

"This is it," Cooper remarks, climbing down a short flight of stairs,"I hope she isn't too busy...."

"We're with you sir," Douglas assures him with a calm tone, "don't think.... just do, it works for us."

At the base of the stairs, we come across a massive circular lounge. Tables and chairs pattern the place, as people went about with their respective routines.

Whispers fill the air as some of the guards take in our sudden presence, "The rumors about these warriors, they speak of their prowess in nightly battles..."

Another one of those heavily armored guards chipped in, "The truth in those rumors are fleeting at best, we mustn't show our respects until they have proven their mettle underneath daylight's embrace."

With the necklace on me and Cooper, we were privy to their not so subtle conversation. While I had my visor positioned to the front, my eyes are secretly glaring at them as they continue their remarks regarding my team.

The grip on my weapon intensifies as the number of people increase, an unfortunate side effect of being in the Reception Chamber.

At the very least there are fifteen people within ten meters of us, inciting my military instincts to flare up. This many people is a serious threat.

I look to the rest of my men, sensing their shared sentiments about our surroundings. Nothing much we can do right now.

Deciding to put aside those thoughts, I direct my attention to Cooper, "Are you sure this Princess would have the time to meet us?" The tone of my voice should help convey my doubts.

He spends a few seconds in deep thought, "Should be, what you did during their war certainly helped earn their good side."

My voice then takes on a questioning tone, "That op was an excuse to get those drones out to assess their military capabilities. It wasn't even an official mission from what they've told us, how did this become public knowledge?"