Within Humanity (7)

With practiced grace, I double check on the loadout to make sure everything is in working order. Helmet is all good, visor is operating normally. A glance to the wrist interface comes next, a diagnosis tells me all internal suit systems are green, the batteries will last for approximately twenty six more days before needing a recharge.

This should be more than enough for the recon mission on the native stronghold, as all of us are inclined to call it.

"I can never get why you choose to bring two sidearms," James remarks, as he waits near the security door, having already finished gearing up.

"Force of habit. Plus I think two is better than one," I kindly retort back as I get to work counting ammunition.

14 magazines for the rifle and 6 for the pistols....this should suffice.

Now done with the count, I proceed towards the door after instructing Douglas and Robert to hurry up. They likely did not need the additional persuasion, but I did so nonetheless. It was just something to keep myself distracted from the impending mission. Everyone knows there will be no immediate backup.

The rucksack as a result is filled to the brim with items crucial for maintaining operability in the long run. Water packs, MREs, expendable reconnaissance drones and emergency batteries make up the majority of the added thirty or so kilograms.

After what seems like an eternity of monotony, distinctive footsteps resound behind. The wait is over. With only a quick glance to confirm their readiness, I follow James as he leads the way up the stairs, and through the snow.

Just ahead the Rift shimmered with a faint glint. Its presence only felt malevolent, as though there is something else pulling the strings. As long as it remains inert however, I was more than happy to let the unease slide.

==New Eden, Forward Base==

We leave the anomaly at a brisk pace. The bright gleam of multiple construction vehicles sat ahead, carving away at the soil. Large swathes of trenches pattern the outpost, laying the foundations of several new prefabs.

Numerous lamps were spread all over the rapidly growing base, casting the entire area in a steady stream of white utilitarian light. Several workers toil away at the central hub, laying new sections of cable on exposed earth, helping to facilitate the expansion of the existing power grid.

"Looks like they're really serious about this," I comment, setting my eyes on the huge mound of prefabricated materials not far from the build sites.

The parts were neatly stacked to maximize space. And it seemed likely that more will be ferried in based on the tracks between it and the Rift.

"I told you," Robert glances back, "brass is too invested to call it quits. Not yet anyways."

We stroll along the pavement, skirting around the large aforementioned mound. Near its northern face, a squad of UN troopers advances along the main road running through the outpost. I offer a passing wave as they neared, and in turn a few of the soldiers sent back their own.

"You guys know where the Operations' wing is?" James yells, stopping the squad, "place looks a little different at night."

One of the troopers points to the right, "It's near the central hub, follow the lanterns on your right. You'll be looking right at it after fifty or so meters," he says.

"Alright thanks."

Armed with the newfound information, we follow the trooper's advice. The system of lanterns keeps the path simple and mostly straight. A few excavators worked along the route, actively churning out more dirt as we pass. Most of the workers move out of our way, lugging their equipment and vehicles aside to allow us a brief window to move ahead. When that was not possible, we simply went around their workplace.