Duty Is Universal (23)

Here I stand, before the sacred Shrine dedicated to the Crystal Herald Vierra. A humble gathering of her most devout of warriors are here in light of recent mummerings, of beings whose unbelieving hearts serve only their own.

My hunter senses pick up the dents in the soil, believing it to be made by them. Strange footprints these are, for they do not bear the mark of our humble shoes. For the tracks to have imprinted such a fine shape into the ground, I must assume these beings are heavy.

"The shrine has been tainted," I speak out with clenched fists, feeling lost on what to do. My thoughts are tainted with the seeds of anger.

Maira will be most displeased about this, already I can envision the sadness engulfing her beautiful features. That shall not stand! If it is needed, I will see these enigmatic beings be put on trial personally.

Anger befalls the rest of us, as we notice the desecreation of crystals littering the statue of our beloved goddess. They lie dead with darkness, only the presence of the truly unfaithful could have done something as horrible as this.

"It appears the seers are correct, there are beings who are not of Elven kind roaming this island." The trees rustle peacefully even in the wake of such alarming revelations, truly they are indifferent to all things.

"I will visit the realm of nature." I said, placing my palms together for the incantation.

My fellow hunters send me looks of approval, "Very well, we shall await your return to the living."

"Please do make haste! I can no longer sense the living aura of our sentinel golems... I fear the worst."

"Worry not, I will be swift in my endeavors." Clearing my thoughts, I reach out to the forest using the gift of magic. All too soon I feel my senses drift away, paving the way for my entry into another realm.

The kindred spirits of nature welcome my soul as I venture into their wondrous world. I rush through the boundary with haste, knowing there is little time to dither.

Countless number of souls circle overhead, each one being a beautiful iridescent wisp, their ghostly forms being the only remnant of what they once were in a past life.

The wise ancestors of elven kind, the ever graceful sea serpents, and many more. Green and blue, the eternal colours of life run rampant here, always a home for the living when their time is up.

In the distant future, I too shall dwell amongst them...

Mustering the courage within, I speak to the Pantheon of spirits gathering before me. "I seek answers, our sacred shrine has been scarred by unbelievers not of our kind."

"What are they?" I timidly ask, perhaps more than a little afraid of the answer.

Voices fill the air, and faint whispers taint my wanting ears with knowledge. "Warriors of conflict, they hide within their hearts souls of steel...."

"Are they enemies perhaps?" The spirits continue to dance, driven by a timeless calling only they must adhere to.

From all around, the voices reply in perfect unison, "...Harbingers of chaos, and incomprehensible knowledge."

With the silence, I take their words to my heart. The words are descriptive and yet vague, that is to be expected, but nonetheless some questions have been answered.

Much is still shrouded in mystery, but I nonetheless decide to extend my thanks to the spirits, "You have my everlasting gratitude for the insight." There is nothing more to do in this plane of existence, I must return to the living realm.