22. In the middle of it

"What does that mean?" I ask. I've seen three kinds of wolves, and they all had different coloured eyes. There was Jane and Liam, who had beautiful electric green pupils, the rouges, who had pitch black eyes and there was Hunter, an Alpha with bright dangerous red eyes.

"I really don't know. I've never met anyone with your shade," explained Hunter. We both looked at Faith for an answer.

"Don't look at me, I'm just as clueless as you," she sighed.

''Maybe it has something to do with your parents,'' Hunter suggested.

''Maybe, but I think it has more to do with where I was the past year,'' I finally admitted. It can't be a coincidence that all of this was happening after I was taken. It can't be a coincidence that my eyes are the same colour as the drug that was injected into be daily.

Hunter and Faith glanced at me, confusion written on their face. I wanted to point out how much they looked alike. Leaning forward, eyebrows knitted together, and looking at me with the same concern. Faith didn't look older than 40. Her fair skin was smooth and looked soft as a rose. Her hair was long black paint strokes and her two golden honey pupils radiated much warmth.

''When I was taken last year, the people who took me didn't hurt me.'' I heard Faith gasp. Unable to watch their face change, I turned around and and began to walk around the room, looking at the vases, art frames and old family pictures. ''They never once laid a hand on me. All they did was come in daily and inject me with this... this violet serum. The pain it caused was strong enough to make me pass out.''

''Are you saying that they experimented on you?'' suggested Hunter from behind me.

''I'm sure they did. There was other girls there,  but non of them received the same treatment as me,'' I explained.

There was a long pause. I continued to slowly walk around the massive living room,before coming to a stop in front of an abstract painting. Swipes of white and red ink covered the black canvas. It looked like a wolf head, in a circle of red. Crimson hand prints and claw marks splattered across the large surface. It told a story of transformation, violence and power.

Behind me, I heard a shuffle of footstep. I turned my head to the side to see Faith walking towards the fire place with a deep frown. Silence echoed through out the house as she picked up logs of wood and shoved them into the fire pit. She then lit the white squared fire starter and placed it under the wood.

''What about your parents?'' she asked softly, her gaze landing on me. I looked back at the painting and focused on the tiny details.

''Dead.''

''I don't mean to come off rude, but how did they die dear?'' she asked. ''I'm just trying to see how everything fits in so we can plan our next move.''

''It's okay,'' I replied , ignoring my tight throat. ''I can home one night to find them killed in the backyard, soon after I was taken by the same people.''

It took a lot to say these things so casually. It was the second time I said it out loud and the more I said it, the more real it felt. The reality of it was settling in fast, like a snow fall in mid winter. The room which we were in started to get smaller. I began walking across the room again, observing every piece of architecture and objects.

''I still think there's more to this than we know,'' Hunter suggested and I agreed with him.

''What I don't understand is, why me?'' I pointed out. ''Out of all the girls, why did they pick me... and only me?''

''Only they know the answer to that,'' replied Hunter.

''Unless, you both go visit Amber's old home town to investigate. Maybe we'll find out something,'' recommended Faith. The thought of going back will bring back so many memories. Memories I've tried so hard to bury down.

''Maybe we should wait a while,'' responded Hunter. ''We should wait for everything to calm down first. She only escaped a few weeks ago, they'll look for her there first.''

Faith nodded and I let out a breath of relief. It was too soon to go back.

''Until then, Amber can stay here and train. You'll be safe here darling,'' remarked Faith. I nodded in response.

Both of them began discussing matters concerning me. They talked about who should train me, or what room I should stay in. Hunter spoke about being home more often and doubling the guards around the perimeter. I focused on the family pictures that stood in front of me. A small smile spread across my face when I saw a picture of young Hunter. He couldn't be less than 10, grinning at the camera with a toothy grin as this sloppy hair flopped over his forehead. He had his hand draped over a girl smaller than him, she wore the same smile and messy black hair. I looked at more photos.

A man with rough blond hair and sparkling silver eyes was frequently spotted in the pictures. In some of them, he was carrying little hunter with his broad shoulders. He looked tall and mighty, radiating power and intimidation much like Hunter. I didn't need someone to tell me that was Hunter father. They looked identical, spare the hair colour. However, he stopped appearing in the photos when Hunter reached his teens.

What I noticed next made me take a step back and gasp. A hand flew to my mouth and the other balled into a fist. Immediately Hunter was beside me, and I leaned into him to hold myself up.

The girl looking back at me in the photo had honey brown eyes and long black raven hair. Her smile was inviting and warm. Her slender body and beautiful face shocked me. Hesitantly, I lifted my hand and pointed at her with a shaky finger.

''Amber what's wrong? Why are you pointing at my cousin?'' asked Hunter.

''You're Jane's cousin?'' I whispered. I watched Hunter's eyes widen before me grabbed my arm and squeezed.

"How do you know Jane?" he questioned.

Faith shot up from where she was sitting and shuffled over to us. She placed her hand on Hunter's shoulder and looked at me. Both waited for me to explain.

"She... she's the one who helped me escape," I breathed. A strange feeling passed through me. Guilt. What if they blamed me for her death? In a way I was responsible. Jane's death, along with my family, was my fault. She gave up her life for mine. Why she did it, I still have no clue. But I owed her my life. If Hunter was related to her, he had the right to know how she died.

"She's the one who told me to come here. She gave me a bag with some clothes, money and a letter. The letter was from her, in messy hand writing telling me to run and get as far away as I can. She wished she could explain, but there was no time. She saved me, but I couldn't save her."

Faith's eyes filled with tears and I knew I was causing it. Hunter looked away, his face holding no emotion. Lighting the fire was a bad idea, I thought. The room was too hot and all I wanted was to be not be here.

"Jane disappeared over an year ago. We were told that a couple of men sprayed her with wolves bane and threw her into a car. Around the same time, a few other wolves were taken from the area. But we didn't think they would come here," Faith sobbed. "Jane was one of the best, and we thought she would return. We send out groups to look for her. But after an year, we knew she wasn't going to come back."

Few tears spilled down my cheeks and I quickly wiped them off with the back of my hand. My face and my body was burning. I was losing control. Thoughts ran wild in my head and I clenched my jaw. I felt a presence take over my body. Everything was connected, and I was in the middle of it.

If it wasn't for the soft lips that pressed against mine, I'm sure I would have shifted. When Hunter pulled back and my nerves had calmed. He gave me a small smile and walked out of the room. I glanced at Faith and saw that she had stopped crying.

"He needs some time to clear his mind," assured Faith. "And I need to tell Jane's parents."

With that, Faith left too, leaving me alone in the massive house.

————————-

Hiii,
I'll keep this short because I'm one of those people who doesn't read author notes.

Honestly I don't know how this book is getting so many reads. I've been so busy lately but the messages and number of votes has given me the motivation to keep writing. Thanks for the support. Xx

Vote and comment if you liked this chapter..