15. I'm starting to hate Birthdays

"Come in," I say, opening the door fully.

Hunter steps into my motel room and looks around. My Queen size bed lays in the middle of the room with tangled sheets and pillows tossed everywhere. To the right of the bed is a large area where the L shaped couch sits. The couch is facing a flat screen TV which rests on the wall. Between the Tv and couch is a small coffee table that holds newspapers and an unopened pizza box. To the left of the bed is a walk-in wardrobe that leads to the bathroom.

The room is large and modern. It's more than what I asked for and I'm very grateful for it.
I lead Hunter to the couch after closing the door.

Taking the remote for the Tv, I turn the volume down so it plays in the background. I don't think I can handle being in complete silence with him.

"What brings you here?" I ask politely, taking note of the small box in his hands.

"Emma told me it was your Birthday and I thought I should come wish you since you don't know many people here," he smiles before handing me the little cardboard box.

My heart warms and I gesture for him to sit down.
Following him, I sit down cross-legged and observe the box in my hands.

Having Hunter in my room is different. This is the little space I let my emotions out. The space I let the tears out. The space where I spend painful and sleepless nights. I don't think Hunter belongs in this environment.

Lifting the lid, I peek inside. Inside is a large cupcake with white swirly icing. Silver balls were scattered on the icing and a single candle was placed in the centre.

My heart misses a beat. I didn't think I would be receiving anything for my birthday this year. I thought everyone who cared was dead.

"It's not a lot, but I wasn't really sure that you liked..."

"Thank you," I say cutting him off. I look into his eyes to show how much I mean it.
There's an invisible force pulling me towards him. Like magnets when they're close to each other.

"I don't have a lighter," I blurt, not knowing what else to say. He smirks and I try to look anywhere but his eyes.

"To light the candle?" He questions and I nod my head.
"It doesn't matter. Wishes never come true anyway, " he says.

"Darn...there goes my hopes of having my dreams coming true," I say lamely, trying to lighten the mood.

"Like what?" He asks, getting more comfortable on my couch. I let myself relax a bit too.

"Like meeting Santa."

"I'm sorry to tell you this Amber, but Santa isn't real," he smirks again. I rise my eyebrows as if I'm surprised.

"Well, there goes my childhood." I make a dangerous move to look into his eyes. When I do, they stare right back into mine. My heart starts to pound into my chest. I hold my breath, surprised by how I'm reacting to him.

Suddenly his face falls and my heart jumps in worry.

"Amber, I also came here to talk to you about something that's been on my mind. "

I can't find any words so I simply nod.

"That night at the party... I should've acted like I did. I don't know if anyone told you, but I don't have full control over my wolf," he says, meeting my eyes again. "I could have hurt you just because something pissed me off."