18. The shift

Amber P.O.V

"Come on, I'll get you something to change into," says Hunter. I look down at what I'm wearing and a small brush creeps along my face. I was still wearing the large T-Shirt from yesterday, but it had all sorts of rips and tears in it.

"Alright," I replied before following Hunter out of the room. Once again, we walk up the stairs and enter the hallway.

"You'll be staying with us until you learn to control your abilities. Is that okay with you?" he asks me.

"I guess," I start, "but what about my job?"

"I'll tell you manager to give you a few days off," he replies while turning into another hallway. This house was huge.

"Oh," I mutter, allowing a silence to come over us. "What exactly are my abilities?"

"Same as other werewolves. Although...." he trails off, scratching the back of neck.

"What is it Hunter?"

"It's just... you looked like you were in a lot of pain. More than what normal werewolves go through when they shift," he explains and I give him a confused look. "And you're veins-"

"What about my veins?" I ask, cutting him off. He turns around and looks at me with his silver eyes.

"You're veins turned a deep purple. There were patterns all over your skin; it looked like spiderwebs," he answers, his voice full of confusion.

"I dreamt it," I whisper.

"Dreamt what?"

"The veins...and the pattern."

"That is weird then. Maybe it has something to do with your parents pack," Hunter comments.

"You're certain my parents were werewolves?" I ask. I didn't want to believe it, but if Hunter and his mum were telling the truth, then my whole life would be a lie. I already thought it was a scribbly mess, but now I can't even find the lines that make up the scribbles.

I don't know who to trust and what to believe.

"Were you ever bitten?" Hunter questions, coming to a stop in front of a door. He turns around and studies my face.

"I don't know," I say honestly. I can say that I've never I've been been bitten before I was taken. But now, I'm not so sure. I did live a house full of werewolves, and weirdly enough, I don't remember most of it.

"I think you would know if you were ever bitten by a wolf," he says, raising an eyebrow. I stay quiet, not knowing what to say. I feel like if I open my mouth, I'll say the wrong thing.

"Amber, can I ask you something?" Hunter asks, looking even more serious. I shrug, which ques him to continue. "What's a seventeen year old doing living by herself?"

There it is. There's the question I've been avoiding from Emma and literally everyone else.

But the thing is, I finally felt like telling someone the truth. I want to lighten the weight I carry around all the time. And Hunter, an Alpha, who claims to be my mate, seems like the perfect person. He could help me discover the truth.

But not right now. Now, I'm going through my first shift. I'll tell him after I turn, when it calms down a bit.

"Later?" I ask, hoping he would understand.