Repentance

There are so many different shades of black. It's hard to notice at a glance, but unique shades of gray and white often peek through. It's most clear after having experienced true black, or complete darkness. The kind of darkness light can't penetrate. It's a kind of darkness most only know through death, and even then they aren't truly aware of how frightening it is. Thanatos knows that kind of darkness, and this isn't it.

A smog that almost shrouds all within it, but still leaves outlines and shadows visible. It's easy to see Veles slithering along the ground or Ishtar hopping soundlessly. Rhiannon is the eye of this storm, as the surrounding miasma of poison plumes from her headless neck. Every one of them is in position and preparing to strike. Veles long snake body ends in a scythe that, unfortunately for him, glints as he raises it. He slams it down into the stone beneath him, splitting the earth. Now his fingers go to work, he's digging them into the ground. Chances are he's listening, seeing, and feeling through the earth. A smart tactic for dealing with Ishtar. While her pounces may not be audible, Veles can no doubt feel the vibrations from each jump every time she lands. Then there's Rhiannon. The centaur isn't moving much beyond the light trotting she's doing with her front hooves. The series of vibrations are sure to confuse Veles.

"Sooo boring..."

Nemain clicks her tongue.

Thanatos looks down from the battle before him to see Nemain leaning back against the nearest wall, arms crossed and a tilt in her shoulders. The redhead doesn't look like she's making an effort to pay much attention, and Thanatos doesn't blame her. This is a training exercise for Rhiannon, Veles, and Ishtar, not for her. In between groans, eye rolls, and dissatisfied shrugs, Nemain takes bites from her rather large bar of chocolate. There's a dull sounding crack every time she sinks her teeth into the candy. Then a snap to follow the crunch when she pulls her jaw, and a chunk away from the bar.

"What?" Thanatos decides to make conversation. "Not enjoying the show?"

"I mean, kinda," Nemain says, finishing the chocolate. "But I can't really see much through Rhia's stupid fog."

Nemain peers up at Thanatos while pulling a small colorful box from within her ample cleavage.

"Can I help you," he asks.

"Well you're awfully attentive, aren't ya Thanny," Nemain says, leaning towards him. "Somethin' ya wanna share with me? Come on, spill the beans. You've got map awareness, don't cha? How're you seeing through all that murky moo?"

Thanatos turns to face the smog once more when he feels Nemain tugging at his arm.

"Gumdrop for your thoughts?" Nemain holds up a box of candies and shakes it in his face

With a sigh and a shake of his head, Thanatos weighs the pros and cons of sharing with Nemain. He does a quick once over, just to make sure nobody else would catch wind of his secrets. Veles, Ishtar, and Rhiannon are busy training. Izanami and Anubis are spectating, as teachers should, and chances are they already have a better grasp of what Thanatos is capable of than he does.