Chapter 28: The Fall Formal: Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Did you bring the staff, Starlight?" asked Filthy Rich.

He eyed the book which Starlight laid her hand on. He had a sinking suspicion that the book wasn't just any book. He figured that she had disguised the staff magically. He stepped closer to Starlight, his hand reaching for the book.

"Yes, I did," said Starlight, pulling the book away from him.

Filthy Rich glared at Starlight for a moment. He quickly replaced the glare with an annoyed expression. He glanced behind Starlight, looking at his daughter. He could see that her eyes flashed red for a split second. He returned his attention to Starlight.

"I see that you've helped my daughter develop her vampire side," said Filthy Rich.

Starlight glanced at Diamond Tiara. She smiled as she looked down. She was happy to see that Diamond Tiara had a chance to live a mostly normal life. She still carried some guilt for killing her half-sister. She felt a tug on the staff which brought her attention back to Filthy Rich.

"Let go of the bo-staff!" hissed Starlight, smacking Filthy Rich's hand.

Filthy Rich withdrew his hand. He was surprised by Starlight's actions. He didn't picture her being the kind of woman to resort to such behavior. He looked past Starlight, at his daughter. He wanted to speak to her. He was curious to see what she thought about her heritage.

Back at the snack table, Sunset stood in front of Twilight. She rubbed her neck nervously. She didn't like that Twilight was clearly scared of her. She tried to ignore Twilight's obvious fear and stood next to her.

"H-hey, Twilight..." said Sunset.

As Sunset spoke, Twilight saw her fangs. She held back a gasp. She gripped her wrist even tighter, her nails digging into her skin. She felt her stomach clench as her fear made her nauseous. She wanted to move away, but something stopped her. She looked at Sunset, trying to figure out why she couldn't move away.

As she looked at her friend, she saw that she was fighting her hunger. She could tell that Sunset was doing what she could to keep herself from hurting from her. Seeing that, made Twilight lose some of her fear. She managed to let her grip on her wrist, loosen.

"S-sunset..., did you mean to hurt me?" asked Twilight.

Sunset cringed as she heard Twilight's question. She had figured that the question would come up sooner or later. But she didn't expect it to come up sooner. She had hoped that it would be later. She stared at the ground, knowing that Twilight was looking at her.

"I..." she trailed off, stumbling over what to say.

Sunset looked up, seeing Filthy Rich eyeing his daughter. She wondered what his intent was with her. She lost focus on the conversation she was having with Twilight. She couldn't ignore the feeling that Filthy Rich had something bad planned.

"Sunset, is everything okay? You've been quiet for the past 10 minutes," asked Twilight, her voice showing no signs of fear.

Twilight was surprised by how strong and confident her voice sounded. She didn't think that she could do that, especially around Sunset. But her stomach still churned at the thought of stepping closer to Sunset.

Sunset blinked as she drew her attention back to Twilight. She didn't realize that she had been standing there, silent for ten minutes. She glanced at Twilight. She dared herself to look directly at her friend. As she did that, she saw genuine concern in Twilight's eyes.

"Yeah, Twi. I am okay. I was just thinking about what Filthy Rich has in mind." replied Sunset.

Twilight raised an eyebrow in confusion. She wondered what Sunset was getting at. She couldn't see Filthy Rich having a secret plan, let alone being able to pull something against Starlight. She got lost in thought as she tried to figure out what Sunset was thinking. She was so lost in thought, that she wasn't seeing what was happening.