Chapter 4

It had been a little over a week since Mikayla had been working for Damien. She had a nice office that was situated just next door to his, and she had been assigned as his personal assistant.

Mikayla had been given a company MacBook, iPad and an iPhone with a number on which Damien could reach her at any given time of the day, and boy did he waste no time in calling her on it. He would call her during the day if she happened to be away from her desk, as well as late at night sometimes to ask the most mundane of questions.

At the moment, she was reading through some company files, continuing to acquaint herself with the various departments and the extension numbers for the managers and shareholders. Mikayla would be taking over all of Mrs. Clemons' tasks, such as managing, coordinating and maintaining the calendar of the CEO including appointments, meetings, travel itinerary and then some.

Thankfully, the schedule for the following month had already been sorted by Mrs. Clemons, giving Mikayla some time to familiarise herself with the procedures.

She noticed with surprise that Damien was scheduled to donate blood at the local hospital later this week.

"I guess he's not a total demon," Mikayla said softly.

This reminded her that she had not done so in a while, and she made a mental note to donate blood herself in the near future.

Working at Arnauld Tech Corporation was proving not to be what Mikayla had initially expected. She had predicted a more formal atmosphere, and while Damien may have ruled his company with an iron fist, his employees were well taken care off and were generally very happy.

Unlike at Northefielde Elements Inc., where the CEO's office was the only office on the top floor. In her new working environment, they were various offices on the upper floor where all of the top executives could be found.

There were about fifteen of them in total, and their secretaries all worked in an open floor plan that was situated at the centre, with each administrative assistant having their own cubicle. It made for a great working atmosphere, and everyone was friendly with each other.

It was to be noted though, that Mrs. Clemons had a much larger workspace than the others.

Mikayla had wondered why she had not been placed in a cubicle herself, but was given her own office. Mrs. Clemons had teased her about it and said that Damien clearly wanted to keep her all to himself.

She had quickly become friends with Mrs. Clemons, finding herself warming up to the elderly lady faster than expected. Mikayla was also surprised at how the other younger assistants had done their best to make her feel welcome on her very first day. Even though she had only been with the company for a short period of time, it felt like she had been working there for months.

When Mikayla was available, she often ate lunch with a few of the other secretaries in the large lunchroom down the hall in the opposite direction of where the offices were located.

As she stepped out of her office to go talk to Mrs. Clemons, Mikayla could not help but notice the many bouquets, which held various types of flowers, littered across the desks of every female that worked within the cubicles in the open floor plan.

"Oh, that's right! It's Valentine's Day today!" Mikayla mentally slapped herself. "Nice flowers Mrs Clemons," she said, while greeting the cheerful older lady.

"Thanks, dearie. My Larry is a romantic one. Has your special someone dropped something off for you too?" Mrs. Clemons asked, as her gaze swept over at all the other desks.

The Chief Compliance Officer's door was open, and Mikayla observed that even she had flowers on her desk.

Shaking her head, she replied to Mrs. Clemons, "I don't have a special someone right now," she tried to mask the sadness in her voice as she felt a slight stabbing pain in her chest.