Chapter 26 - One Step Forward

A week had passed since Dani's hospital appointment. She was now off her crutches and able to get around a lot more now that she had adjusted to using the walking boot. 2 days after her hospital appointment, Dani had had her first physiotherapy session with Evan - her physiotherapist. He had examined her ankle and taken on board all the notes from the doctors as he gave Dani some basic stretches to do when her ankle wasn't in the boot. In this time, Dani and her class had also found out that they were having a field trip to station 19. After finding this out, Dani was ecstatic and she couldn't wait. She knew what type of things they did on field trip days as the station was put out of action. Although she was limited to what she would be able to take part in, Dani was just excited to spend the day at the station.

It was Thursday now and Dani was at the firehouse doing some school work. She needed somewhere quiet to work and upon hearing this, Travis had told her to come down. Dani had set up "basecamp" in reception so she wasn't in anyone's way. Since returning to school, Dani had been going into school on most of her off days to catch up on missed work and do some revision. However, now that she was back to being somewhat mobile with her walking boot, she had been going in and out of school as she only went in for a few classes. If she wasn't at school, she was either at the firehouse, the care home or a café so she could get some work done. Throughout the day, Travis had sat down with the teen and helped with her work when he wasn't out on jobs or doing things around the station.

It was around 2pm and Dani had been struggling to get a practice essay for English completed. Throwing her pen down on her book, Dani sighed.
"Hey Gibson" Dani called from her place at reception as she saw him walk past. He stopped and popped his head back through the doorway.
"What's up?" He asked the teen.
"Have you seen Travis? He said he'd read this for me" Dani asked.
"He's ordering some more stock...I can help if you want" Jack offered, walking into the reception area.
"Okay...thanks" Dani smiled, as she handed him her notebook, so he could read what she had written. After reading it, Jack handed it back to Dani.
"It's good...although there's a few mistakes in it..." Jack noticed. Dani huffed. She hated getting things wrong.
"Here..." Jack said, grabbing the red pen from the desk and correcting the spelling mistakes after sensing the teen was becoming annoyed.
"Thanks" Dani said as she frowned at the words. Jack looked at her puzzled.
"Oh – I'm dyslexic" Dani explained, looking at him. Jack nodded his head.
"Well let me know if you need any more help" Jack offered as he started to head out of the reception area.
"Thanks Gibson" Dani called after him, before she refocused her attention onto her writing.

An hour later, Dani packed up her stuff as she was going to meet Liam from work. Everyone was out on a call so Dani wrote a note and left it on the kitchen counter before she started the 10 minute walk to where Liam worked.
"Hey" Dani smiled, as Liam walked out of work and over to the bench she was sat on.
"Hi" Liam greeted, pulling Dani in for a hug.
"How was your day?" Liam asked, as they started walking to a nearby cafe to grab something to eat.
"Good. I got my English essay done. And some revision done. Yours?" Dani replied, as they walked down the street with their arms linked around each other's waists.
"Yeah it was alright. Had some idiot try to cause a scene in the shop but bailed once we showed him the CCTV." Liam laughed, as they arrived at the cafe.

It was the next day, Dani was currently stood at her locker talking with Emma.
"Ah, come on! Do it! You can sing...I really don't know why you didn't take music." Emma pestered her friend.
"I don't know Em. I'm not good a performing in front of people..." Dani reasoned.
"But...it will be so good. Especially after everything that's happened recently. Show people what you're really made of!" Emma pushed. Dani smirked at her friends determination.
"Fine..." Dani agreed, as she shut her locker.
"Come on. We need to talk to Mr Mitchell." Emma stated, grabbing her friends wrist. Mr Mitchell was the head of music and was the one in charge of the talent show. Dani laughed and followed her friend down the corridor. They went to speak with Mr Mitchell to sign Dani up for the show and o arrange her tickets etc. After sorting everything out, Dani went to sign out as she had no more assigned classes that day. Typically Dani wasn't in school on Fridays but Dani had spoken to the school and tweaked her timetable in order for her to catch up on missed work etc. As i was Friday afternoon, Dani made her way to the fire station like she had done for the past few weeks on a Friday. She wanted to tell Travis about the talent show as she wanted him to take one of her tickets. Arriving at the station, Dani first went to talk with either Jack or Andy - whoever was acting captain that day. Dani knocked on the office door.
"Come in." She heard Gibson say. Dani smiled and opened the office door.
"Dani, what can I do for you?" Jack asked, gesturing for the teen to sit down.
"I just wanted to check, is Travis working the Friday after next?" Dani enquired.
"Let me look, why?" Jack asked, as he checked the rota on the computer.
"I'm singing in our school talent show. I can only have 3 tickets so I wanted to see if Travis could go." Dani explained. Jack smiled upon hearing this.
"Yes, he's off. And I'm happy to hear this." Jack commented.
"Thanks Gibson." Dani smiled, standing up. Dani went to find Travis.

A short while later, she was sat with Travis in the bunk area. Travis was sat doing some paperwork as the teen was sat doing some school work.
"So I have some news..." Dani said happily as she placed her pen down on her notepad. Travis looked up from his paperwork, at the teen, waiting for her to continue.
"I'm singing in the school talent show Friday after next." Dani told him.
"Really?" Travis asked excitedly, putting his pen down.
"Yeah...I was wondering if you wanted to come?" Dani asked, closing her folder.
"Of course..." Travis asked.
"I've already checked with Jack and you're off. I've also asked Ryan and Chris as I can only have 3 people." Dani stated.
"I can't wait." Travis said smiling.
"Anyways...I best be off. Chris and Mike will be back now" Dani told Travis as she packed away her stuff.
"Alright...I'll see you Monday?" Travis asked the teen, knowing that her class were on a field trip at the station.
"Yeah...see you Monday." Dani said, giving him a hug before she put in her headphones and walked out.