Chapter 10 - Its All Too Much

After a rough few months Dani was really starting to feel like everything was just piling up on top of her. She felt like she was drowning, like she couldn't breathe, and truth be told she didn't know how much more she could take. Each day was a constant struggle. Although both Ryan and Travis had given Dani their numbers, Dani just felt like she couldn't reach out them - or anyone for that matter. She didn't want to feel like a burden. Dragging herself through each day, Dani found herself slowing down. She couldn't take it all anymore and she didn't want to feel like this. Having had the thought in her mind for a few weeks, Dani knew what she was going to do. She had it all prepared and was just waiting for the right time - not that there ever is in these situations.

It was late one Friday morning when Dani found herself alone at the care home. All the other kids were at school and the care-workers were at their monthly meeting, leaving Dani all by herself. Dani shut herself away in her room and sat on her bed. She grabbed her phone and saw she had a message from Ryan - Officer Tanner.
'Hey Dani - just wanted to check in. Want to meet up for a coffee and catch-up?'
The message read. Dani smoked slightly but her feelings didn't changed. She knew this wasn't the right thing to do. As he brain screamed one thing, but her heart screamed another, Dani hesitated. She typed a reply.
'I'm sorry Ryan'
Was all Dani said before she hit send. She chucked her phone down and her bed and started opening all the tablet boxes. Creating a pile, Dani popped all the tablets out onto her bed. There must have been at least 30 tables if not more. Dani gathered them in her hand and looked at them. She hesitated before she started putting them in her mouth and swallowing them. Once she had taken them all, she sat back and took a deep breath. Her phone started ringing besides her. Ryan's name flashed up on the screen. Dani ignored it.  Of course Ryan kept ringing for like 5 minutes straight until he finally stopped. Dani was starting to feel unwell and was starting to regret her decision. Shakily, Dani stood up from her bed and went to go to the bathroom. Only for her legs to give way under her causing her to collapse to the floor. Dani started shaking. After a few minutes her body stilled as Dani layyed unconscious on the floor.

After the text that Ryan received from Dani, he was starting to get a bad feeling. He decided to drop by and check up on her. Arriving outside the care home, Ryan walked inside. All police, paramedics and firefighters had a code to access cares home etc in case of an emergency, so Ryan buzzed himself in. Upon seeing that no one was in he called out Dani's name.
"Dani?"
"Dani...it's Ryan" He called again, this time walking up the stairs to her room. He tried to open the door, but it wouldn't.
"Dani? Are you in there?" He asked, seeing that none of the doors had locks so it couldn't have been the reason the door wasn't opening meaning that Dani must be inside.
"Dani! Open up!" Ryan yelled, banging repeatedly on her bedroom door. When he didn't get a reply, he turned and pulled his phone from his pocket and dialled her number. He frowned when he heard her phone ringing inside her room.
"Screw it" He muttered. Ryan took a step back and braced himself before he kicked in her door. As the door flung open, a chair crashed to the floor - obviously the chair had been wedging the door shut. Ryan walked inside and instantly his stomach flipped. Dani was lying unconscious on the floor. She was pale and non-responsive. Kneeling down beside her and feeling her pulse Ryan got straight on his radio and radioed for an ambulance.
"This is officer Tanner. I need a red response ambulance to Elmers Bridge Care Home (name of the care home Dani lives in if I have t mentioned it before). I have a 16-year-old with a possible overdose" Ryan told dispatch as he glanced up at Dani's bed and saw all the empty pill packets.
"Copy that" Dispatch responded. Ryan swore to himself as he moved Dani into the recovery position.
"Dani can you hear me?" He asked, trying to get a response from the teen.
"You're going to be okay..." Ryan mumbled as he held Dani's head in his lap.

Not 5 minutes later an aid car pulled up outside the care home.
"Hello...SFD?!" Someone shouted from downstairs.
"Yeah up here!" Ryan shouted. Seconds later Vic and Travis walked inside the room.
"Oh my god" Travis muttered as he dived down next to Dani.
"What happened?" He asked pulling on a pair of gloves.
"I don't know...I messaged her to check in and she sent me a text saying she was sorry. I tried calling her, but she didn't answer. I got a bad feeling, so I came and found her like this. I think she's taken all of them." Ryan explained, pointing to the empty packets on the bed.
"How long ago did she text you?" Track asked, as he checked he pupils.
"Nearly 45 minutes ago"
"Vic we need to load and go" Travis instructed upon hearing this.
"I can carry her down" Ryan suggested, knowing it would be easier and save time.
"Okay...we need to go" Knowing that every second counted. Ryan nodded. Vic picked up the bags and went down to the aid car whilst Ryan picked up Dani. Travis collected the pill packets and then supported Dani's airway as they walked down the stairs and out to the aid car. Ryan carefully placed Dani on the gurney and then stepped back whilst Vic and Travis stabilised Dani.
"I'll drive" Ryan stayed, grabbed the keys off Vic before jumping into the driver's seat. This way both paramedics could work on Dani.
"She's losing her airway, we need to tube her" Travis observed, noticing that her SAT's were dropping. Vic nodded and handed him the airways kit before she started bagging her. Within 2 minutes Travis had successfully tubed Dani and secured the tube. After checking the tube placement and attaching Dani to all the monitors, Travis told Ryan to floor it to the hospital.
"Hang in there Dani" Travis mumbled, giving the teens hand a squeeze as he monitored her observations closely.
—————————————————

What do you think?? It's not easy writing storylines like these but mental health is an important topic to write/talk about.
- Dharma x