Chapter 2 - Careers Talk

Later that week, Dani found herself wondering round the corridors of school, waiting for her class to begin. They had been told in the prevision lesson that they would have a lesson on 'Careers' - meaning they would be having people come in and talk to their class. In all honesty, she wasn't that excited. Although she didn't really have a clue what she wanted to do when she left school, she really didn't want to be in school. Hesitantly, Dani started making her way to class as the bell rang. Walking into the classroom, Miss Harte greeted the class as Dani went to sit at the back of the room.
"Right class, so today we have some speakers in from a local firehouse and police force. May I introduce firefighters, Andy Herrera and Travis Montgomery from Station 19 and officer Ryan Tanner." Miss Harte explained, introducing the 3 adults as they entered the classroom from the hallway.

Dani smiled slightly seeing Travis again

Dani smiled slightly seeing Travis again. The 3 adults started talking to the class about their jobs and all that. Travis glanced to the back of the room and smiled once he clocked Dani sat at the very back. As the class discussions went on, Dani's phone vibrated in her pocket alerting her to a new message. She sneakily checked her phone and her heart sank as she read the message. She stuffed her phone back in pocket and quickly wiped her eyes, trying to hide the tears that were threatening to fall. Dani tried to refocus on the class but when she couldn't, she quickly and quietly stuffed her belongings into the backpack before standing up. Everyone turned to look at her, including Travis, Ryan and Andy, and could see that Dani was obviously distressed.
"Sorry...I have to go" She mumbled, running to the door at the back of the classroom and leaving. By now she couldn't hold the tears in any longer. Dani made her way outside and started walking out of the gates.
"Really...you're just going to walk out of school...right in front of a police officer?" Dani heard from behind her, recognising the voice of Ryan Tanner from behind her. Dani stopped and turned to face him. He looked shocked to see her eyes were red and puffy.

"Are you okay?" Ryan asked now more concerned for the teen

"I'm fine..." Dani sniffled, rubbing her eyes.
"Clearly...because everyone cries like this if they're fine...what's wrong?" Ryan asked sincerely. Dani sighed and decided it was properly best not to lie to him. She walked over to the bench that was a few steps away and sat down. Ryan did the same and sat down opposite her as it was a table bench.
"Here..." Dani said, handing her phone over to Ryan. Ryan frowned as he read what was on the screen.
"There's loads of these...have you told anyone?" Ryan asked a few minutes later.
"No...I've just been ignoring them as I've had a lot going on..." Dani responded. Ryan looked at her confused.
"I'm in foster care...I've just been bounced from a home and I'm now in a group home. So...I chose to ignore the messages...but today's the worst one" Dani explained.
"Right...I want to help you...why don't I take your phone back to the station, track down the number sending you these messages and deal with the person?" Ryan suggested.
"Really?" Dani asked quietly.
"Yeah"
"Why would you do that?" Dani asked, confusing the officer once again.
"Because I want to help you" Ryan said, causing Dani to laugh.
"What?" Ryan asked.
"It's just when people have said that to me before they normally bail out" Dani explained.
"Well, I mean it. I want to help you." Ryan reassured her. Dani hesitated before nodding her head in agreement.
"Well I'm Ryan..." He commented, offering his hand to Dani.
"Dani" Dani smiled slightly, shaking his hand.
"Okay...well I'm going to drop you home now...I'll take your phone back to the station to collect the number and evidence and then I'll drop it back later tonight okay?" Ryan offered.
"Okay – but, ermm – can you explain this to the care worker at the group home..." Dani asked hesitantly.
"Of course I can" Ryan agreed.
"Thank you....I've never really had anyone care for me before" Dani said quietly.
"A)I'm just doing my job and B) You seem like a good kid who's had a crappy past" Ryan responded.
"Come on then – I'm taking you home. I'll message Andy now and she'll tell your teacher that your ill and going home" Ryan said, standing up and pulling his phone out of his pocket. Once he had messaged Andy, he guided Dani to his patrol car and started the short drive back to the care home where Dani was living. Ryan walked Dani inside and went to get Mike – the lead care worker. When he saw Ryan he glanced at Dani.
"Don't worry Sir, Dani's not in trouble, but can I speak to you in private?" Ryan jumped in.
"Of course" Mike said.
"Dani I'll drop your phone back later tonight – it will probably be after my shift finishes at 7 okay?" Ryan added. Dani nodded and walked off to her room before Ryan followed Mike into the office.

A short while later, Ryan left. Dani was sat in her room listening to music when Mike knocked on her bedroom door. Dani looked up at him.
"Can we talk?" He asked, gesturing for her to remove her headphones. Dani removed her headphones and shifted in her bed, allowing Mike to sit down near her feet.
"You know, if you ever have a problem you can speak to me or any of the other care workers here" Mike started.
"I know...I probably would have it's just...this has been going on for months and I've only just come here and I've- I've" Dani stuttered.
"You've had a rough few months, I get it. Just in the future – speak to us yeah?" Mike calmed the teen.
"I will...thanks Mike" Dani smiled.
"Anytime kiddo – oh, by the way, there's a secret stash of cookies in the cupboard downstairs – grab them now before the others get back from school and find them" Mike laughed, causing Dani to practically run downstairs, making then both laugh. After grabbing the cookies, Dani spent the rest of the day completing school work and revision. She enjoyed the peace and quiet whilst she could. As the evening crept in Dani was startled as someone knocked on her bedroom door, pulling her away from her drawing.
"Oh – hey. Come in" Dani said, once she turned and saw that it was Ryan.
"Sorry, didn't mean to startle you" Ryan chuckled slightly.
"It's okay" Dani assured him.
"Here" Ryan said, handing the teen back her phone.
"We've got pictures and evidence of all the messages so I deleted them from your phone. We've tracked down who sent them and trust me when I say they'll stop" Ryan added.
"Thanks...who was it?" Dani asked.
"Ermm... kid in your year – Zack Barns" Ryan hesitantly answered.
"Oh...right okay" Dani responded.
"What's that look for?" Ryan questioned.
"Nothing...it's just we used to be good friends that's all" Dani said quietly.
"Well anyways, he's been excluded permanently." Ryan reassured.
"Thank you, Ryan" Dani smiled.
"Here – this is my number – you have anymore problems or want to talk – day or night – give me a call yeah? I'll come, no questions asked" Ryan added, handing Dani his business card.
"Thank you" Dani said, before walking Ryan out. Shortly after she went and had a shower before getting ready for bed. She didn't have school the next day due to her reduced timetable but did have some artwork to do. After spending some time on social media, Dani finally settled down to go to sleep just after 9pm, and for the first time in weeks, she was finally starting to feel like things were starting to get better.
—————————————————

Chapter 2...what do you think? x Thanks for reading...love you guys!
- Dharma x