Choosing

(( I can smell the tea from a couple chapters away... it's strong... who wants some?))

They'd put it off for about as long as they could. The day had arrived, and they were about to knowingly send Adam into the lion's den.

There were hours left to go yet, but every second in between was precious and couldn't be squandered. At 8 in the morning, Matt was lying awake in bed. He was right in the middle of his two boyfriends, and he couldn't sleep to save his life.

Why couldn't it be him to go?

Why did it have to be Adam?

Even as people tried to explain the reasons why to him, it just made him feel more and more torn up about it. By doing this, it felt like they were letting Lotor win. Giving Adam back was admitting defeat as he saw it, even if they'd never truly recover their defected member.

He needed to stop thinking about it before he could drive himself nuts. It had morphed from a feeling of sheer helplessness into anger.

It scared Matt half to death when Shiro wrapped an arm over him. He jumped back against his chest, but settled once he realized Shiro had woken up.

" You're so tense..." Shiro murmured.

" You're not?" Matt whispered back, rolling to face him. Shiro looked tired, stressed, somewhat anxious. Maybe he was just better at hiding it.

" I don't want to scare him..." Shiro said under his breath. He tucked Matt into the crook of his neck and held him, taking comfort in the embrace.

Comfort was what everyone needed then. If they made Adam too scared, made his existing anxieties worse, there was no way he'd survive it.

...

Meanwhile, most of the other family members were having breakfast, or on their way to eat.

Lance was half asleep with Keith in the eat-in booth. He'd pulled his smaller boyfriend into his lap and gotten all comfy. He'd refused to abandon the blankets in bed, so there was one wrapped around the couple like a giant cape.

" Your bedhead is so cute..." Lance smiled and murmured into Keith's neck. He had buried himself there and kept nuzzling in by the back of Keith's mullet.

Keith blushed and tried to concentrate on eating his scrambled eggs, but Lance was quite the distraction. He couldn't help but shiver and get tingles from the breath running down his neck.

" L-Lance..." He stammered.

" Hmm?" Lance purred in a morning voice, one that sounded rough yet sweet. Keith felt himself being pulled closer as Lance's hands ran all along his sides from behind. " You're so beautiful... I love you so much and I'll never understand how you being this hot is legal..." He sleepily mumbled into the messy black mullet.

" Did you hit your head or something?" Keith chuckled. Lance must've been deliriously exhausted.

" I should be asking you that, after all, you're the one that fell from heaven~" Lance joked. Keith rolled his eyes, though blush seared onto his cheeks as a result.

When Hunk and Pidge came to sit down, Keith was beyond thankful. He couldn't handle anymore compliments.

" Keith, did you get sunburned?" Pidge asked after slowly sliding into the booth. She was beside Keith, having been cautious while getting there. Her stitches were still relatively fresh, and she had to be extremely careful not to rupture any of the sutures. Moving in a sluggish way helped to ensure they'd remain intact.

Lance kept the blanket snug around Keith and himself, peeking around the front and spotting the red hue all over Keith's face.

" He's just flustered~" Lance kissed his cheek. Keith pinched the bridge of his nose in a shy fashion, not believing he'd gotten so worked up over a couple compliments from his boyfriend. Lance just had a way of doing that to him.