The Storm's Prelude

Steven's P.O.V

I wake from sleep, feeling the early morning sun shining through my window. Yawning, I sit up, stretch, and get out from under my covers. Being 22 surprisingly doesn't feel that different from being 14 or 19, but perhaps the main reason is due to how tired I feel in the mornings. Even though life around the house or just Beach City in general hasn't changed too drastically in these past handful of years, it almost always seems like I'm doing enough to keep busy. I prefer it that way, though, because merely sitting around and doing nothing gets quite boring and feels like I'm wasting my life away. Despite the fact that I've spoken with Pearl about this before already and she confirmed that I'll live for a lot longer than most average humans, I want to make sure I'm making something of myself.

My mind then shifts to what it usually searches for right after waking up. Breakfast. Staying in my undershirt and black with red sweatpants, I embark down the steps that lead into the living room and walk on over to the kitchen area. But I frown when I see that Garnet, Pearl, Amethyst, and Jasper aren't up and about like they usually are at this hour. Maybe they caught wind of a corrupted gem attack or something, I don't know. But I would suspect not since we cured them all five years ago. I was there after all. Standing in front of the fridge, I open both doors and grab the ingredients for my typical breakfast. A carton of milk, a bowl, a spoon, and one box of cereal later, I'm ready to fill my stomach with something substantial. Me and the Gems would eat at the bar counter and discuss the details of the day's mission, but since they're MIA, I'll take advantage of the opportunity and continue my new favorite show.

Clutching my breakfast in one hand, I excitedly bound back up the steps built into the side of the wall and sit down in front of my television set. It had been upgraded to a 60" a short time ago to better suit my preferences, not to mention that the old one would get damaged quite frequently from my shield misfiring around the room sometimes. I take out the box from my DVD set collection and pop in Total Drama Island. From the menu selection, I pick the episode I left off on and hit play. The episode is the one where Duncan, Jeff, DJ, and Owen form a 'dudes alliance' to better their chances of not getting voted off the island. I discovered this great show when Dad told me about it around my 18th birthday and after previewing a few episodes, I quickly got hooked. Guess this is how Lapis and Peridot feel about Camp Pining Hearts. Can't say I really blame them, but right now I do miss their company. 

The Diamonds themselves have become a lot more caring towards me, having visited a couple times to simply check in and see how I'm doing. They've actually grown to miss my company, something I definitely didn't see coming. I really like how far they've come since we first met, just like with Jasper, Lapis and Peridot. Ever since Jasper was cured of the corruption, she's moved into the barn with Lapis and Peridot, pretty much best friends with them now. Both of them, have only continued to be the kind and loving individuals they've grown to be, always liking whenever I'm around. I love them for that, just like I love all the people that have helped me grow over the years.

The rumbling of my stomach acts as a wake up call to me, bringing my attention back to the present situation. I quickly scoop up some cereal and stuff them in my mouth, enjoying the rough texture of them on the top of my tongue. Luckily, the cereal's still at that point of not being too soggy from the milk. I hate it when my cereal's too soggy. As I eat, though, one defining thought lingers in the back of my head. Pearl, Amethyst, and Garnet have been more quiet around me recently, not to mention the frequent blushing they do whenever I look in their direction. I still feel confused about it. Are they embarrassed by some stuff I do or is it something else?

The sound of the Temple Warp Pad activating tears my attention away from my cereal and from the Total Drama Island Episode. The beam of energy sets down on the circular platform, but disperses a second later, revealing that it's Amethyst. Her outfit is wet from something, though, and unfortunately, it makes some of her...body aspects stand out more. This odd but tempting feel spawns in my chest as my cheeks begin to heat up. I really don't understand myself during times like this, so I stay content with rubbing the side of my face with my free hand while continuing to spoon myself my cereal with the other. Down below, Amethyst walks off the Warp Pad, muttering to herself about something that's incomprehensible. I want to get her attention to see if she'll enjoy sitting with me and eating breakfast, but turns out I don't need to. After walking a few more steps in my direction, Amethyst looks up and sees that I'm awake.