2. New town, new challenge

The journey to Grennis took well over two days since we met, and dispatched, the groaan.

Apparently, according to Torq one of the groaan was heard saying, "Leave the elf to me." Looks like they were as deluded as the elf-dwarf himself. Or just misinformed. Torq said that either way he had fun cutting down the lead gnoll who'd wanted to take on the 'elf'. I wonder if groaan can actually tell the difference between the male and female elements of their own race, nevermind that between elf, dwarf or other. However, if a single, seemingly intelligent, dwarf such as Torq can't tell the difference, what chance do simpletons such as groaan have?

We arrived at the outskirts of a Grennis just before dusk. The setting sun made the town look serene; hiding its true nature. I've never been to Grennis before, but I am aware of its reputation. It's a bustling hive of activity, mostly populated by dwarves. Apparently this is where Torq's grandfather lived. And where the aforementioned family fortune awaits to be claimed.

Our entrance to the town was through the South Gate. There are the other gates at the other points of the compass, so I've heard. The gatekeeper was irked that we'd woke him. I tried to use my natural charm on the grumpy old sot but given he is a dwarf, I may well have been invisible. Thankfully being with Torq, we were allowed through. I don't speak dwarvish, but I could tell that Torq and the gatekeeper were arguing the inclusion of non-dwarves through the gate at this hour. And that is despite the fact that this is not a dwarf-only settlement. Some dwarves are a little odd towards non-dwarves though. I won't take it personally. I even think the argument was all because Torq is clean-shaven - that's almost a heresy in dwarven culture.

Once through the gate, Fonner directed Lestergrad and Torq to the best tavern in town, a dwarven establishment obviously, known as The Big Rock Inn. I tagged along, to which neither Lestergrad nor Torq objected. I think I may be growing on these two.

The Big Rock Inn is so called because the courtyard of the inn has a very large rock slap bang in the centre. The rock stands higher than the roof of the inn and is easily the width of three large oxen. An apt name I am sure everyone will agree. The owner of this fine inn is the rotund Grox Stonehammer. His grey beard reaches his knobbly knees and the scar running from his scalp and down the left side of his face is clear evidence he was once an adventurer.

We booked lodgings and had a meal of what would appear to be something served for breakfast in these parts. There were sausages, eggs and bacon - all very tasty. My only concern is that we had arrived in Grennis near to dusk, and this was a breakfast meal.

"They are dwarves," Lestergrad said to my obviously confused face. I still didn't understand.

"Dwarves work all day long," Torq added, "their 'breakfast' can be at any time of the day."

"Particularly when you consider they work in shifts," said Lestergrad.

"Ah." I replied, trying to sound like I understood what they were saying. I think they believed me.

"Come," said Torq after we had finished our breakfast. "It is time to go and meet my family."

I was about to ask if the hour was not a little late, but I thought better of it and stayed quiet. If they can eat breakfast at this late hour, then who knows what else they would be up to. Only dwarves.

The Goldbrick Mansion, which is as good a name as it is description, was our destination. It is a three-storied building built of a glittering yellow brick-stone, which sparkled in the setting sun. Torq's family apparently owned this gaudy looking building, and resided here. Apparently though, there was some confusion over the rightful heir. Torq was long thought lost, dead even, and had been summoned here by Grandmaster Frin Goldbrick. Frin was not the head of the household, only a master housekeeper until the heir could be identified. Until that time, he was responsible for identifying the rightful heir to the Goldbrick fortune.

During the ceremony to confirm that Torq's cousin, Jinso Goldhammer, was the rightful heir Frin was subjected to a vision of another possible heir. After many months of searching, Torq was found living with a band of elves. The elves had apparently found Torq when he was but a youngling, and being the kind-hearted people they are, the decided to raise him as if he were one of their own. From what Torq tells me, the elves knew nothing of who is parents are and so were skeptical of the summons from the Goldbricks.

After reaching the Goldbrick Mansion we were led into a parlour where Frin Goldbrick and Jinso Goldhammer were waiting.

"Ah, young Torq Greenstaff," said Frin, "how nice to meet you in person at last."

Torq nodded, Jinso grunted. It was clear from Jinso's response and body language that he thought Torq to be an imposter.

"Unfortunately, we find ourselves in a bit of a pickle," continued Frin. "Torq and Jinso here are both suspected to be the rightful heir to the fortune of Dunson Goldbrick. Old Gingerbeard himself saw all of his children die in the great cave-in of the third level of Goldbrick Mine some twenty four years ago. I believe that would be around a year after the elves adopted you Torq."

Torq shifted his feet, but never responded.

"When Gingerbeard died five moons ago, he knew not that his second son may have fathered a child, the Inheritance Ceremony we started, but not yet completed, not long after his death presented us with a dilemma. The dilemma is that the vision revealed your existence Torq. However, even then it was too vague to make a true identification."

Torq was picking his nails now. Jinso was staring balefully at Torq.

"There is one way to ensure that we can identify the true heir. Whether this be Jinso or Torq. To do this we need a device only known to us as The Herald. We know not what this herald is or exactly where it is." Frin looked embarrased by the last comment. "However, the vision was good enough to determine the general whereabouts of the Herald." Frin now looked directly at Torq, "What we need is someone to retrieve the Herald and then we can be certain."

I nudged Torq as he was not paying attention. "Oh, sorry," he said, "you mean you want me to go and collect this device?"

"Yes young Torq. Without it, we are not able to say with any certainty who should be granted the wealth of the Goldbricks. Or, for that matter, if you are a true Goldbrick or not."