The Disaster

The night was dark and gloomy. Without a star or a speck of a cloud, the full moon stood alone in the sky, trying to shine some hope onto the wicked black sea. Nevertheless, the sea was eerily calm like the air around. The wind didn't whisper about the secrets it held, the cries it had heard, the pain it had endured or the souls it had claimed. No. It remained silent. Neither the wind nor the sea warned about what was to come.

There was a party being held. About fifty people were gathered, enjoying, unaware of the approaching danger. It was a birthday party with the usual clinking of glasses, the mild outbursts of laughter and peaceful soothing music. Midnight was an hour away, dragging with it a great punishment. The first signs of the calamity were overlooked. The wind started howling a bit, and the sea began to lap briskly. But it was too late. Even if the people had observed the signs, there was no escape.

Then the vibrating liquids in the tall glasses were observed but merrily dismissed as minor shocks.

Half an hour later, the people at the party noticed the symptoms and the incoming monster. The sound of water gushing at a fast rate, the shrieking and bellowing of the wind, the rattling and falling dishware and the distant blur explained it all. The people took in their surroundings and started to panic. The foolish ones started packing their belongings while the smarter ones tried a swift escape. But there was none. Both foolish and smart ones had to suffer.

There was a moment of screams. But they abruptly muted, as the pleading eyes spotted the monster. The ten-meter-high wall of water appeared. One second there was nothing, just the howling wind, and the churning waters, and then the other, a mammoth of a tsunami came crashing onto the naive beach. A great catastrophe had struck mankind. The tsunami quickly wiped the beach void of any soul. By the time the alarms were sounded, it was already behindhand. The wave flooded into the city, leaving a disorientated trail. The watery fiend brought the best building to their knees as if built of a toddler's bricks. Death was severely annoyed at the sudden duty call. Souls were whisked away at the rate of a thousand per second. 

The wicked wave wrought heavy destruction and a combination of horror, fright, shock, and anger. The entire world held its breath as the tsunami enjoyed itself and filled its appetite of demolition. And then as suddenly as it had come, the beast's greed finished and it gradually subsided. The great destructor had died. But it had left a lasting impression. Millions were dead with a loss of millions of dollars. The agitated survivors were left homeless and a great many fires were crackling.

The first sirens were heard in the distance as medical assistance and media helicopters arrived. The tired moon cried over the heavy losses as the sun awoke from its disturbed sleep. The city was given a dreadful and swift punishment for its sins. The city had been brought to justice.

The End