Chapter 14 - Results

When Midoriya Izuku woke up he knew that he had screwed up in more ways than one. He sulked the entire way home and through the weekend, hiding his puffy eyes and swollen cheeks behind a shaky grin whenever his mother came into view. He stuck to his room as much as possible, staring at the All Might poster stuck to the wall beside his bed.

All Might. His hero. His inspiration. His mentor.

Izuku rolled onto his side, tucking one arm beneath his head as he stared at his cell phone with a shaking hand. Tears prickled behind his eyes. He hadn't had the heart to call or text All Might the bad news. He didn't know how to face him after such a colossal screw up. All Might had entrusted his sacred power to him; chosen him as his successor; a wimpy, scrawny boy with dreams and aspirations bigger than he was capable of.

Zero points.

All that hard work and training every day for the past nine months.

All for nothing.

You're just a quirkless loser!

You'll never amount to anything, DEKU.

...Just pray you'll be born with a quirk in the next life...and take a swan dive off the roof!!

Kacchan's brutal words rang in Izuku's head, reminding him of the vast difference between the ordinary and the extraordinary. Kacchan was the extraordinary. He probably passed the test with flying colors, knowing his skill and powerful quirk. Izuku on the other hand hadn't gotten a single point and when he finally diddo something it cost him both his legs and his entire arm, and almost his other one. If it hadn't been for that girl - that really cute brown haired girl with the pink cheeks - and her anti-gravitational quirk, he really would have bitten the pavement.

He did such a wasteful number on himself, that he also passed out after Recovery Girl healed him. It was night by the time he woke up, long after the test had concluded. Kacchan and Hakamata-san were no where to be found, meaning he missed his chance to ask her the plethora of questions buzzing around in his brain earlier.

It was probably for the best. He would probably just annoy her with his annoying fan boyquestions, or would piss Kacchan off. Actually, Kacchan would be pissed off regardless, so that was a moot point. Either way, after his certain failure, Izuku couldn't really focus on any of the excitement he had felt earlier that day. It would be depressing and Kacchan would be sure to rub the fact that he was destined for failure in his face.

Izuku furrowed his brow. What was Kacchan doing with Hakamata Nozomi anyway? He was positive this was a recent development, but they acted so familiar around one another. Kacchan was protective of her and Hakamata was able to calm him down. She also kissed him. Kacchan kissed her back. Which posed the question: were they dating? Izuku felt his cheeks grow warm at the thought. He recalled Kacchan's friends teasing him about a girl a few months ago, but he venomously denied it; was he actually hiding it? Either way, they looked good together. Leave it to Kacchan to land himself an amazing girlfriend!

"Izuku!" Inko called from down the hall. "Dinner is ready! Come eat, sweetie."

Izuku sat up, quickly rubbing at his moist eyes. He dried his tears and tucked his phone back into his pocket. Several calming breaths later, Izuku emerged from his bedroom and followed his nose to the kitchen to join his mother for dinner.

"You got a lot of nerve, nerd."

Izuku ducked, covering his face as an explosive fist collided with the wall beside his head during lunch break. As soon as the bell for lunch rang, Kacchan dismissed his friends and sauntered over to Izuku's desk. He immediately knew it wasn't a friendly visit. All the ash-blond needed to do was jerk his head toward the door, sneering. Izuku got the message loud and clear. Jamming his things into his bag, he followed Kacchan outside and around back where it would be easier for him to kick the crap out of his childhood friend without being seen.