Chapter 9 - Say my Name

Summer ended bringing about a new semester of school. Nozomi fell back into her routine of meeting with Katsuki in the mornings only, feeling a little lonelier than usual throughout the day. Sometimes she found herself wondering what his days were like over at Alderia High as she gazed out the classroom window, half paying attention to whatever subject her teachers droned on about. They occasionally texted each other on breaks and once in a while shared a phone call before bed which either consisted of Nozomi complaining about her busy schedule, telling Katsuki about something funny her friends did, or Katsuki ranting about whoever pissed him off. Usually it was this kid named 'Deku.' Nozomi didn't know exactly what this kid did to make Katsuki hate him, but normally his frustration was aimed toward that Deku kid, or sometimes one of his friends that pushed his buttons a little too far.

The remainder of August and September flew by, leading them half way into October. The two continued to meet on the weekends for their longer training sessions since it was the only time either of them were completely free. With November fast approaching, the warm summer air was gradually being forced out by a brisk fall breeze. It wasn't too bad, but it was enough to catch a frequent chill without a windbreaker to keep warm.

Thankfully, the chill wasn't a problem for Nozomi and her sparring partner. Nozomi ducked beneath Katsuki's fist, narrowly missing a small explosion that popped beside her head. She felt the gust of heat it produced and breathed in the sweet scent of burning caramel it left behind. Sometime over the summer, Katsuki has begun mixing small, controlled explosions into their sparring sessions. Nozomi didn't mind. In fact, she liked the additional challenge of dodging his dangerous quirk. It made the training all the more real, especially since Katsuki wasn't the type to go easy on her (well, within reason, of course).

Nozomi side stepped another explosive punch and countered with a round house kick that Katsuki easily swatted to the side. She followed up by pulling her leg back and then quickly jumped, simultaneously turning in the air and shot her leg out for a hook kick toward his face. Arching backwards, Nozomi's foot barely grazed the tip of his nose. She landed and instantly threw her hands up, anticipating his return kick. His shin collided with her forearms, causing her to stumble backwards. Katsuki followed up with another explosive sweep of his arm.

Unbalanced, Nozomi scrambled to dodge in time. She awkwardly ducked and moved backwards at the same time. Not realizing how close she was to the slope of the hill, Nozomi's foot slid out from beneath her and sent her toppling down with a high pitched, "eep!"

From atop the hill, Nozomi heard Katsuki chortle at her less than graceful fall. "The fuck was that?" He barked with laughter as he tucked his hands into his pockets. "I ain't ever heard you make that sound before! Do it again. You sound like a stupid chihuahua!"

Ugh. Nozomi rolled herself over and pushed herself upright. "Oh, no, don't mind me. I'm fine, thanks for your concern," she bit sarcastically.

"No problem. I wasn't."

Sometimes she just wanted to knock that shit eating grin off his face. Putting it aside for now, Nozomi went to get up only to feel a sharp pain shoot from her ankle up her calf. It would have sent her spiraling to the ground again had Katsuki's hands not flown out and steadied her in place.

"Is it your ankle?" He asked.

"I'm fine," Nozomi began to protest, but Katuski shut her up a glare.

"I didn't ask if you were fine because I know you're not, dipshit. Now tell me how bad it hurts."

Nozomi groaned, placing one hand on his shoulder. She gingerly pressed her foot to the ground and instantly hissed the second she tried to straighten her ankle and put pressure on it. "Not the best," she admitted.