Chapter XL

I attempt to silently leave having heard enough.

However I coincidentally trip over my own foot causing a loud smacking noise when I hit the floor, most likely grabbing the attention of Christopher and Alex.

Hastily scrambling to my feet, I half walk, half run away while trying to block out the repeating conversation in my head.

Alex and Christopher's voice.

Everything they said.

It won't go away.

Lauren and Christopher.

Lauren and Christopher aren't together?

My feet slide across the floor as I near the entrance.

Why do I always put myself in the most awkward situations?

Like hearing a conversation that I shouldn't have, and wished I hadn't heard.

Right?

I mean, Christopher is... Christopher.

Right?

Christopher is not what I need in my life, at all.

Actually he's the last thing I need in my life.

Every single person and moral that surrounds Christopher Evans, everything that his life and personality have been built on is toxic for me.

I can't be attracted to him.

Right.

But I also can't control my feelings towards Christopher.

And it's all new and strange because I'm not. really sure exactly what it is that I feel towards him.

So what does foolish Ivory do when she's too much of a coward to just face her problems.

She avoids them.

"Ivory."

Or not.

The minute I turn around, there he is.

"Christopher," I sigh.

He just stands there for a while with a slightly intrigued glint in his eyes and a slightly open mouth.

I look down at my shoes, twisting the ball of them against the tiled floor of the hallways.

"You heard the whole conversation then, I'm guessing."

I take a few steps slightly closer to him confused.

He doesn't maintain eye contact like he usually does.

He just keeps glancing at the floor and the walls, the large bruise on his hand and then occasionally at my face as if he's ashamed or nervous about something.

"Yes, I did."

"Erm, listen can we just stand outside, Alex may come here and I don't want him to-"

"See me?" I interrupt.

"Do something stupid," Christopher trails continuing to slowly walk outside and stand next to the side of the school. "Look Ivory I-"

"Is it true?" I stop him again, abruptly. "Did Lauren force you into a relationship?"

Silent.

A long uncomfortable pause.

"It's true. She... she, er, told me that if I didn't do what she wanted and I thought, I thought that it would be easier to just be with her if she left you alone like she promised."