Let's Get Hitched

Edward's P.O.V

Ella is very confused by the time we land in Las Vegas that very night. She slept the whole ride to the airport and the flight here, only waking up for snack time on the airplane, but she was far under the sleep dose she didn't really realize we were on a airplane. By the time we are in our Uber on our way to The Little White Chapel, Ella is asking questions about where we are and why are we here.

"Mom and Dad are going to do something very special," Bella tells her as we watch the tall buildings, the lights and the people of the city that never sleeps. She leans down and whispers into her ear, "We're gonna get married."

Ella's eyes widen. "You mean you aren't married like uncle Emmett and aunt Rosalie? Or grandma and grandpa?"

"Well, no we're not," I say. "But that was because we've been together for a short time."

"But I thought you said you known each other for a long time."

"Damn, nothing slips past you, does it?" Bella chuckles and shakes her head. "Look, yes, Dad and I have known each other for a really long time. We've only been best friends for seventeen years, but it wasn't until after you were born that we realized how in love we were with each other and then we became a couple."

Not even I could have explained it better. But damn... we've been in each other's lives for seventeen years? It feels like it was yesterday when I first saw her walk in to my parents home when I was sixteen years old. Times surely flies. Next thing I know, Ella will be sixteen. Oh, no, lets not open that door yet. I look down at our daughter, who seems to have understood what her mother just explained to her. But of course, it's Ella. Ella, just like her mother, likes to ask way too many questions.

"But how was I born before you got together? Don't babies come after marriage? That's what daddy has told me. First you get married, then you have babies."

"Okay, that's a conversation for another time." I pull out my phone and open the Netflix app. I am not ready to have that conversation with my five year old in the back of an Uber. "How about you catch up on New Girl?"

Ella gladly takes the phone from me and starts over season one of New Girl. I give Bella the holy shit look, causing her to laugh. When I look forward, I can see our Uber driver trying to contain his smile through the rearview mirror. Ass.

I lean down and whisper against my daughter's ear. "And babies do come after marriage. Marriage also comes when you're sixty, Roger that?"

My daughter nods, without taking her eyes off the screen. "Roger that, daddy."

I kiss the side of her head and enjoy the rest of the ride to The Little White Chapel. Elvis Presley is dancing from the sign when we get out of the Uber. Once we walk through the front doors, we are greeted by an old man sitting behind the register. The chapel looks better than I expected. The walls are white, there's nice decorations and roses that give it an elegant vibe. There are no drunk people getting married, no actors dressed in costumes or strippers. Nothing like I would have expected from a wedding chapel in Las Vegas. Where's the Elvis from outside?

"Hi! How can I help you today?" The old man asks us as we reach the counter.

"They want to get married!" Ella says excitedly, jumping up and down with her hands on the counter. She can't see over it, so that's her last resort.

The man smiles. "Then you've come to the right spot. We can set up a date for you guys-"

"No, actually we want to get married tonight," I say. "Like tonight, tonight, is that possible?"