Telling The Father

Bella's P.O.V

Three days. It's been three days since Edward came back from his business trip and three days I have been avoiding him. Not that my excuses have been good or that he isn't already suspecting something is up, but for my own sake, I suppose he is not pushing it. I mean, he has called to see how I am and why I haven't gone to see him after almost two weeks of not seeing each other but little does he know I'm just working on getting the courage to tell him he's about to become a father.

Alice looks up from her magazine and says, "So, is it Jacob's?"

"What? No, it's not Jacob's!" I snap and take a seat across from her.

"Then please tell me!" She begs, dropping the magazine next to her. "I've been through a mental list of all possible fathers and you keep saying it's not either of them! Whose is it? Was it a one night stand with some stranger? Was it just a hit it and quit it?"

"Oh my God, Alice can you tone it down?" I groan and lay down on her couch. "Please, just let me figure out how the hell I'm gonna tell the father and then we can talk."

Alice weeps. "Fine, but you have to hurry up, Swan. I'm not about to get married without knowing who the father of my future nephew is."

At least you got the nephew part, I think to myself.

Suddenly the door opens and the last person I want to see walks in. Fuck, I forgot I was at Alice's apartment and we all so happen to always hang out here. I immediately roll off the couch and crawl my way behind the couch. I clench my eyelids tightly and just hope, I hope he did not see me. No one says a thing. There's heavy foot steps and they're getting closer and closer. I bit my lip and try to make myself smaller.

He clears his throat. I slowly look to my side and see him kneeling beside the couch with an arced eyebrow. I see he's wearing his ocean blue suit and his black overcoat. He obviously hasn't shaved because I can see the start of his beard on his jaw and his hair is slightly damp due to the rainy weather outside.

"I wonder why is my best friend hiding behind the couch and didn't greet me after almost three weeks of not seeing each other," he said amusingly.

"I... I... I was just... Trying to figure out how good you were for hide and seek," I lie with a nervous laugh. "Pretty darn good!" I drag myself to my feet and look at Alice who's standing by the couch pointing at me and mouth, "Snitch."

My eyes trail to Edward, who's looking at me as if something is really weird about me. And there is, I'm pregnant with his child and here we are acting like what happened a month ago wasn't a big deal. I give him an awkward smile and a small pat on the shoulder and say, "Good to have you back." Then walk as fast as I can to the kitchen and pretend I'm looking for something.

"Bella?"

"Hmm?" I look all around the room. My own eyes betray me and look at him, standing there confused with his arms extended out for a hug. "Oh uh-"

"What's the matter?" He asked, dropping his arms. Alice looks at me wide eyes. "We don't see each other for two weeks and usually when that happens you're the first one to jump of me but now three days have gone by and not even a hug?"

Alice steps in, placing her hand on my shoulder. "There's obviously a reasonable explanation for this. You see, the reason why Bella is just acting so weird is because..." I glare at her as she tries to come up with some excuse. She better not rat me out. "Because... She... Got a new form of birth control!"

"What?!" I snap.

"Yes!" She shouts, pinching my arm. I groan and step aside. She turns to ah even more confused Edward. "She was telling me how her previous birth control was making her feel sick and very tired and she went to her doctor to get a new prescription. Unfortunately, it comes with little side affects like morning sickness, hormones all over the place, swell-ing-" she groans when I kick her foot. "And um... avoiding best friends. I mean, I was lucky enough to get her out of her apartment, she's been so stubborn." She pinches me again.