31

/\/\/

/\/\/

Byrd sat crouched down in the water in front of Octavia, picking out under her nails with her small knife. She peaked up at the girl as she looked out of the log they we hidden behind, watching Pike's scouts for a second before she ducked back down. She sighed, slipping her knife away as she looked over at her.

'Pike's detail is still at it soil and water samples,' Octavia muttered into her earpiece; 'No, but considering how heavily they're armed, I don't think they want anyone to find out.'

She peaked out over the log again, only for her face to fall. The Delani girl turned to look then, her eyes falling upon a young boy bounding through the water.

'Crap,' Octavia muttered; 'There's a Grounder kid.'

'Hello there. Don't be scared,' Hannah called out to the boy.

'We can't let him go. He'll tell his people he saw us,' Shawn stated.

She glanced back at Octavia who sent her a pleading look, before her gaze went back to the boy.

'Hannah,' Shawn pressed.

The woman looked back over her shoulder and nodded, the little boy bolting the second he saw the gun.

'Fan out. With me,' Hannah yelled as she ran forward.

Byrd pushed herself up to stand, launching herself over the top of the log after Octavia. She moved easily into the treeline, hardly caring if Octavia was behind her or not.

'They're going after the kid. I'm trying to cut them off,' The Blake girl's voice sounded.

She shook her head, ducking behind a plant when she heard footsteps. She reached forward when the little grounder boy went to run past her, pulling him back and shoving him into Octavia's arms. She placed her finger over her lips, shushing him quietly as Octavia covered his mouth and held him close. She raised her gaze to look beyond the tree they were hiding behind, stilling when she saw movement through the scrub.

'We lost him,' Shawn muttered.

'Double back towards the river. He can't have gotten far,' Hannah instructed.

The man left first, running back the way he came as Hannah went to walk by them. Though, a low hiss from Octavia caught her attention as yellow sap rolled down her skin burning it. Byrd placed her hand under it when it dripped again, hardly flinching as it burnt her palm. Octavia looked at her wide eyed, watching her shake her head as her skin sizzled lightly at another drop landing in her palm. She sat back once Hannah left, falling onto the bum as the kid scrambled to get away; disappearing into the foliage.

'You're welcome,' Octavia muttered sarcastically.

She smirked, ripping the bottom of her shirt off to wrap her hand; glancing up at Octavia as she began to speak.