3. baby steps

Previously on Endgame 

"I believe in a woman named Poppy, who survived the fire and was put to sleep by her family. I believe that she lives her life, afraid, hurt, angry. She's not completely darkness." Silas lowered his hand, the fire disappearing from his fingertips."My name is Silas, and I'm married to Poppy Mikaelson." The witch told him, taking a drink. "She's not too bad, in fact I think she's amazing, but one thing has been off about her lately. Her humanity, she shut it off."

Klaus pulled his hand out of Tyler's chest, but didn't hold his heart. Tyler fell to the floor. "Congratulations. You killed your best friend."

Stefan and Klaus both looked at the tribrid, who stood in shock, her mouth gaped open. Her face was no longer transformed, and neither was Klaus's.

"Do you feel that, Poppy?" Stefan asked, kneeling next to Tyler. "The pain, the guilt?"

Poppy looked at the body, her emotions flooding back like a tsunami. She felt every bit of it, the pain, the grief, the guilt, the fear. It slammed into her, and she let out a small gasp. She felt her eyes sting with tears, her vision blurring. "Tyler.." She whispered, her voice breaking.

"Hey, Poppy," Stefan said softly. She looked at him, her blue eyes watery. "It's okay,"

She shook her head. "How can you say that? He's supposed to be alive, playing professional football and winning the Super Bowl. Instead he's dead..."

Stefan held up Tyler's hand. He was wearing a ring. "He can still do that, he'll come back."

"Then it became the names of people who are still alive. Mikael, Davina, Aiden, Cami, Josh, Enzo, Jackson, Hayley, Silas" her voice cracked, and she was about to cry again. "Tyler, Elijah, my dad, Stefan-" Poppy took a breath."Damon, I can't-I can't live knowing that the majority of the people I love is going to die."

Her uncle kissed the top of her head. "Hey..we'll figure something out okay? It's going to be okay.."

April 24, 2013 

Mystic Falls, Virginia 

The Salvatore Boarding Home 

Poppy sat in bed, a bowl of cereal in her lap, wearing nothing but a robe, the TV playing a movie called True Heart Susie, from 1917. She shoved the spoon in her mouth and closed her eyes, humming with content. She had been getting better, but sometimes the vision still haunted her. As of late, she was considering taking the cure. Perhaps things would be easier to handle. 

Behind her, Silas sat up in bed, the blankets covering his bare lower half. 

"Sorry if I woke you." She said, her eyes glued to the TV. She leaned to the side and placed the bowl on the night stand. 

Her husband smirked and leaned back onto his elbow. "No need to apologize," 

Poppy turned her head and looked at him. She smiled when he brought his hand to her cheek, and she laid down next to his side. "I love you."

"And I love dogs, and magic, and movies, and then you." Silas joked, and his wife giggled in amusement. "What's got you so happy today?" He wondered aloud, brushing his thumb against her cheek. 

"Today is a good day." Poppy told him, getting under the covers. 

Silas leaned forward and kissed her. "I'm glad."