Chapter 18: The Longest Camping Trip Ever

"What do you mean you're not coming back next year?" Catriona spluttered, "You have to!"

"I can't, Catriona," Ron said, "I just can't. Harry, Hermione.. they need me. We have to stop this. We need stop Voldemort from coming back."

"But, you needn't leave! Hogwarts-"

"-isn't safe anymore," Ron finished, "It isn't, and you need to realize that. Nowhere's safe for anyone anymore."

"I'll come with you," Catriona began crying, "Please. You can't leave, it's more dangerous out there."

"It's the same everywhere," Ron tried to explain, he was on the verge of tears himself, "Voldemort has access to here than anywhere else. And honestly, Draco is a danger to you, too."

"How?!" Catriona was angry with Ron now, "How on earth is my boyfriend a danger to me of all people?"

"He's a bloody Death Eater, that's why!" Ron said. He knew Catriona didn't want to hear it, but he had to.

"So what?" Catriona stood up, "He's not the one who killed Dumbledore, Snape did. If he was a danger to me, don't you think I would be dead or in Saint Mungo's by now?"

"It could happen any second," Ron softened his voice, "I just want you to be safe."

"Well you're doing a bloody lousy job," Catriona continued to yel;, "Don't you think I want you to be safe as well? God knows what's outside this school! You could be dead within a few days time! You bloody arsehole, Ronald! Don't you freaking care about yourself?! How do you expect to save the world if you can't even care for yourself?"

Catriona couldn't go on. She collapsed on the floor, hugging herself and wiping the endless tears that were streaming down her face and all over her robes. Ron wasn't offended one bit like he should've been. In fact, he knew what she'd said was true. He couldn't take care of himself, how could he care for Harry and Hermione, what if the two got hurt and he didn't know what to do? But he had to go. Ron walked over to Catriona, sat down next to her and hugged her.

"I know," he admitted, "I know it's true, Cat. But I have to. Come with me."

"Draco," she whispered, "I can't leave him."

"You can't take him," Ron said, "He'd jeapordize us all. And if he came, he'd be in danger."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, if he's gotten branded with the Dark Mark," Ron began, "Voldemort thinks he's a follower. If Draco betrayed Him, then.. well, then he'd be in danger. Dead by morning, you know? You wouldn't want that.."

"No.. no, I wouldn't," Cat said, "I'll come but.. what about Harry and Hermione?"

"They wouldn't mind," Ron said.. At least I hope not.

"I wouldn't wanna come along if it were to become a problem," Catriona said, "But I don't want you to go.."

"Cat, I have to," Ron sighed. He was having second thoughts but quickly pushed it away.

"I'm coming, then," she finally said.

"It'll be like.. like I'm not even there," Catriona promised, "I won't bother anyone, I won't be nosy or anything."

Ron didn't know what to say, what to feel. So he smiled. Smiled like there was no better thing he could hear. He didn't care a war was going on, because he was going to spend time with Catriona, even if it meant saving the world.

**

The several months that followed proved to be worse than they'd expected. Harry had been skeptical, a Hufflepuff joining them. Hermione was glad there was another girl, but she was hoping Cat didn't store secretive feelings towards Ron. Ron left for a bit, Catriona left with him, saying they'd return as soon as possible, and promised Hermione they wouldn't do anything together. 

They return one night, Ron saving Harry and Catriona returning to the tent where Hermione waited anxiously. 

The next few days went by, being careful as they could. But finally, the four were caught, and taken to Malfoy Manor. Where a deadly fate awaited.

-- 

Next chapter to come c: