Chapter Eleven - Hurricane Aloe

Chapter Eleven

Hurricane Aloe

When I emerge into the hallway after my tearful sleep in Wister's office, light is fading slowly, inch by inch, as it only does on summer evenings. In the distance, I could hear faint music coming from a room near the kitchen and the sounds of dishes clinking against the sink.

The noises were all so natural that I could almost imagine myself to be back home. Almost. I hope that my face does not betray me and look as though I've been crying, even though I have.

Deciding that I didn't want to purposely seek out company, and what I did want to do was be outside, I started looking for an exit to the garden. It doesn't take long before I realise that the small door in the kitchen must be the only option. Peering inside, I see Willow at the counter with her back to the door. I only recognise her by her long, silky smooth hair. I remember what Wister said about her baking when I see a spattering of batter fly over her shoulder and landing on the floor's mismatched tiles.

Taking a deep breath, I walk into the kitchen. Willow turns around to snatch a large spoon from the table and catches sight of me, looking surprised. She looks so homely and warm with her fox print apron spattered with different foods and her feet tucked into slippers that look three times too large for her.

"I've got the eggs! Teasel hid them in the boys' room." A voice sounds from behind me and Perennial enters the room behind me, faltering only slightly. "Oh hello, Everleigh."

I am surprised to hear the different pitches to Perennial's voice when she thought it was just Willow in the room, and then when she saw me. She must truly be comfortable with Willow. 

"Yeah, hey, Everleigh," Willow says, dropping the spoon back onto the table and quickly wiping her hands on her apron. She sticks out a smooth, pale hand to me. "I'm Willow. I know we've met, but I guess not properly." I take her hand and feel a slight stickiness.

"You can just call me Ever," I say to both of the girls, dropping Willow's hand as fast as I could manage without offending her. Perennial's grows at this and she has to push her thick glasses back up her nose slightly.

I glance at the door and see that it is open and a fly screen is drawn across it. The smell of warm, sweet honeysuckles floats in and practically makes my head swim.

"I was wondering if the way to the garden was out there." I feel the need to clarify my immediate appearance in the kitchen. Willow smiles and it is like staring at the sun. It is not as though she is especially beautiful, though she is pretty, instead it is her happiness that leaps to greet me when she smiles.

It is as unavoidable as Sweet Pea's kindness or Yarrow's joking personality.

"Yes, it's just down the fire escape."

To save myself from having to make any more conversation, I nod and dart towards the door, pushing the screen door out of the way. The kitchen had been three flights up, so after the metal stairs hanging from the back of the house is high, but sturdy. All along the banister, flower baskets hang. Water trails along the stairs, drying underneath the dripping baskets as if someone had only just finished watering them.

Wind whips around my ankles and through my hair, blowing it out behind me. I place a hand over my eyes to block the sun so I can watch my step more carefully. The stairs end just before a small cobbled pathway which leads to the clearing I saw from Wister's window. 

All along the path are patches of cement that have names were drawn in and handprints next to them. I see some names I recognise, like Cedar, Aloe, or Juniper, but more often, I see names I don't recognise;