Twelve

"Oh, Joy, I didn't mean to bring this on. I didn't mean to cause this. Please just come back to me. I promise I will make it up to you." He whispered. "Please Joy. Please come back."
He sat there holding her hand and stroking her hair. What had he done? He knew she wasn't ready to be marked. He knew her mind wasn't ready. Why had he claimed her? Why had he marked her? What would it have done to wait? Now he sat beside his mate waiting for her to wake up. He wouldn't leave her side. He couldn't. Not when he had caused this coma. Not when he did this to her. He continued to stroke her hair.
"Joy, I am so sorry I did this to you. I should have waited. I should have made sure you were ready." He whispered.
"You didn't do this you know." Came a deep baritone voice.
He turned and saw Raven, his long black hair hung loose and his hazel eyes held honesty.
"What do you mean?" Rage demanded. "I claimed her when she wasn't ready. I claimed her when I knew better. This happened because of me."
"This happened because of her. This would have happened sooner or later." Raven said as he placed his large hand on Rages shoulder. "This was her destiny. This needed to happen."
"How... How can you know this?" Rage frowned.
Raven looked him in the eye. "You don't know everything about me." He began. "She is on a journey. One only she can take. One that will shape her future."
"How... Why now?" Rage demanded.
"It was time. Trust me. She is safe. She is protected. She will be just fine."
Raven left him. Rage was confused. How was Joy on a journey while in a coma? Raven was crazy. Rage had caused this. He did this to her. He would spend every moment with her. He didn't want to leave. He wouldn't leave. He leaned down and kissed her forehead. He rest his head beside hers and closed his eyes. He wished he could reach out to her. To hear her voice, to speak with her, to explain everything. He wanted to make everything right. He lay there holding her hand as he slowly drifted off to sleep.

He jolted awake when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He jumped and saw Ari and Raven standing there. He looked to Joy. She still hadn't woken up and he was beginning to worry. He turned to their company. Ari had a tray of food jn one hand and her bag of medical supplies in the other. Raven stood beside her and looked anxious.
"Rage, I need to talk with you." Raven said quietly.
"About?" Rage demanded as Ari handed him the tray.
"Blaine." Was all Raven said.
He sighed. "Out in the waiting area. I dont want to stress Joy out."
He held his tray as he stood and followed Raven into the waiting area. Passion, his beta, was there pacing.
"What's got you so worked up?" Rage asked Passion.
"Blaine. He sent an email, since I was in the office I checked it." Passion said. "He is coming."
"We knew this." Rage said confused.
"Now... He's coming now." Passion said. "He's bringing his family and his beta. He will arrive late tonight."
"Are the cabins close to finished?" Rage asked them.
"Yes. Just finished. But, hes requesting an escort. Doesn't trust the vampires." Raven told him.
Rage sighed, "I see. Who all is on watch tonight?"
"Arrogance and Truancy from now till midnight then Jealousy and Raven." Passion informed him.
"Okay." He sighed. "If he must have an escort, take Indulgence, Raven, and two of the trainees. Max and Aimes. They are close to promotion. If they perform well tonight, they will promote. Passion, I need you on head duties. I can't leave. I just can't." Rage explained. He rubbed his forehead. "If I am needed, I will come. Only in an emergency. I need to be with Joy."
"We are well aware of that." Passion said calmly. "We will explain the situation to Blaine when he arrives. Maybe his healer knows what is happening."
Rage nodded, "Get going. I want to be kept aware."
Both men left the clinic. He ran his hands through his hair. Why did being alpha bring this much trouble. He was needed elsewhere. But he just couldn't leave Joy. He would never forgive himself if she woke and he wasn't there. But the safety of the pack and those coming to visit was important. He began to pace. What was he to do. He couldn't leave Joy. But he couldn't let Blaine show up without him in his duties.
"You know, if you need to leave, I am more than capable of taking care of her." Ari said behind him.
"I just can't leave. What if she wakes up and I am not here? I'll never forgive myself." He whispered.
"But she needs you in your duties. What use will you be if the pack is attacked? What if Blaines group is attacked? Your duties call you." Ari said as she approached him. "Joy will understand."
A faint sound came down the hall to them. They turned toward the hall. When they heard it again, they raced down the hall to see what it was. Joy was awake and looking around. When they entered, she looked right at him and smiled. He couldn't help but smile as he went to her side. Ari got to work on taking her vitals.
"I chose you." She whispered in his ear.
"You chose me?" He asked. "What do you mean?"
"I chose you. I want to be with you." She whispered. "She said I had to choose."
"What are you talking about? Joy you aren't making sense." He said softly as he grabbed her hand.
Joy frowned. "I was promised to both of you. You and Dimitri. I had to choose. I had to pick who I wanted. I chose... I chose you." She said before falling asleep.
He stared at her. What had she meant by that? She chose him? She was promised to both him and Dimitri? Was that even possible? Who told her to choose? He was more confused now than ever. What on earth had happened to her?
Raven came in, "The men are leaving now. They will reach the meeting place in an hour."
"Raven... You said Joy was on a journey. Can you tell me more?" He asked. "She woke up and said she chose me. Said she was promised to both me and Dimitri. She had to choose..." He couldn't continue.
Raven took a deep breath. "It isn't my place to tell you. But she speaks the truth. She did have to choose. She did choose you."