Six

She couldn't help but jump into action when those men were carried in. It was in her blood to help save someone's life, or just patch them up. She knew that Ari needed help. Both of her nurses for that day had either called off or left early. She was short staffed and needed help. So she jumped right in. She took of the men and began to look at his wound. It was a good size piece of skin dangling there. She knew he needed stitches. She went and found a sutures kit. She numbed him first, then patched him up in no time. Then she cleaned as much blood as she could off him. She went to check with Ari on which pain meds to give him. Ari had just finished moving the other male into a her previous room. Ari followed her into the exam room where she worked on her patient.
"Great job stitching him back together. I will give him some medicine and move him. Why don't you go tell their escorts that they are fine and all stitched up." Ari said. "They need to be here at least 2 days. Maybe more."
Joy nodded and left the room. She stopped off to wash her hands. She was nervous to talk to the men in the waiting area. She wasn't the one to normally talk to patients families. Someone else always did that job for her. When she entered the waiting area, Rage was gone. She had secretly hoped he was there.
"Both men are patched up and on the men. Ari said they need to be here at least two days if not more." She told them as instructed.
"We will make sure to let Rage know." Said one man, with blonde hair. "My name is Arrogance. This is my brother Indulgence." He pointed to the red haired man. "What's your name?"
"Joy. Joy Daniels." She responded. "Pleasure to meet you."
At that moment Ari appeared beside her. "Tell Rage he can see them any time. I know he will want to have words with them."
Indulgence nodded, "Will do. When you off for the night? You've been working non stop for days."
"I don't have anyone to hold the fort. Jo called off the last three days. Summer is pregnant, so she reduced her time to minimal. Sam is our because her cubs are ill. Tara just plain doesn't want to work." She said in a rush. "There for I can't take the night off."
"I'll cover." Joy heard herself say. "Go home. Rest and recharge. I'll hold tbe fort down. I am an emergency room nurse after all."
"Are you sure? I wouldn't want to make you feel like you had to." Ari told her softly.
"I'm sure. It will give me time to decide if I want to take you up on that offer."
Arrogance stood up and picked Ari up. "It's settled them. Off we go. Her home number is in the black book beside the phone on the desk. Im sure she put her orders in the patients files. If they get out of hand, call Rage or one of us."
She nodded as all three of them headed out the door. She hadn't thought she was up for this, but the words left her anyways. She knew how Ari felt. She had worked plenty of back to back twenty four hour shifts. Sleep was something that wasn't always available. She did a quick check on the patients and then toured the clinic. It had two exam rooms, and three patient rooms. Both exam rooms were stocked with most medical supplies. A closet outside them held the rest. The waiting area was large but not overly so. The desk took up part of a long wall. It was chest high and acted as a reception area. She sat at the desk behind the talk partition. It housed a calendar, a phone book, a telephone, and a computer. There's a television on the wall of the waiting area.

A few hours later, she did her checks on the patients. When she went to the desk again she saw Rage standing there. He wore black jeans and a tight fitting black t shirt. She felt a rush of desire over her body.
She smiled at him. "Hello."
He smiled back. "Hello. I came to check on my trainees."
"Both sleeping. Their stitches look good. They both are stable." She told him.
He nodded, "That's good to hear. How about you? Do you need anything? Food? Drink? Company?"
"I haven't eaten since this morning. Food sounds good. Though I was going to use the kitchen here to find something."
He chuckled, "Good luck.  Ari doesn't keep it stocked. She pays her mother to make meals for the patients who stay here. I'll grab you something."
"Don't worry about it. I'll be fine."
He walked forward. Lust in his eyes. He stopped in front of her. She held her breath. He was so close. She could feel the warmth coming off him. She felt safe this close to him. She looked up at him. His head lowered. His lips so close. The door opened and Rage jumped back.
"Oh... Um... Sorry." Said a female voice.
Rage turned. "Sorry Ari. I thought you were home for the night."
Ari held up a tray. "I brought Joy food."
Joy watched as Ari placed the food on the desk. Rage didn't meet her gaze. That confused her. Without a word he left. She felt suddenly like she wanted to cry. Ari smiled weakly at her.
"I am sorry I broke that up." Ari told her. "I just couldn't relax knowing you didn't have food."
Joy smiled, "Thanks. Rage was here asking if I needed food."
Ari chuckled. "Looked like he was going to kiss you."
"I thought so." She said softly. "You walking in probably saved him the regret."
"One thing about Rage..." She began. "He doesn't do anything that he might regret. His choices have to be calculated. He can't regret anything."
"I don't know. The way he left..."
She couldn't say more. She didn't want to show how much it hurt. It had been a long time since she had last let a man hurt her. She swore to herself she wouldn't let anyone hurt her again.
"The patients are asleep. Both stable." She told Ari. "Ill administer their next medications when needed."
"I appreciate what you are doing for me." Ari told her.
Joy smiled weakly, "I couldn't see you killing yourself when I am perfectly capable of helping. Go on home. I have this covered. Thanks for the food."
"Sam will be in around five o'clock. She's coming in to take over for you."
"I've got this. Besides where do I have to go?"
She really didn't have a place to go. Her home was off limits. She would honestly probably stay and help out.
"I'll figure something out. Sam will be here at five. I'll have someone come around then to take you to... Wherever you will be staying." Ari told her.
"Alright. I'll check in tomorrow to see if you still need help." She told Ari.
Ari gave her a quick hug and left. Joy sat down and pulled off the lid to see what Ari brought her. Two slices of pizza and a salad. She ate it slowly. Her mind reeling over everything that had happened. Her kidnapping, becoming a werewolf, not being able to return home. Ari offering her a job was nice, but she couldn't really decide if it was genuine or if it was a means to keep her here. Then there was Rage. He made her feel so many things. Things she hadn't felt in a long time. He made her feel safe. He made her feel alive. When he was near her, she was aware of him. The warmth she felt, the attraction. The way he smelled, dark woody musk. He made her want to try to be normal. Made her want to have a life outside of her work.