39. Victorious

After a quick trip to the bathroom, you know, to put myself together again, I'm back on my way to the guidance office. There are some stragglers who haven't gone out to the field yet, so for another excruciating minute I'm subjected to the sports mania that runs deep in the roots of this school. I see the posters highlighting our supposed pride but I walk on by, my classmates utter Brent's name excitedly but I keep my eyes forward. I'm doing a fine job of acting indifferent on the outside, but in my head I keep hearing his voice, pleading, and I'm not as tough. It's just this place, I think, it'll be better when I get out of here.

Ms. Montgomery's been pretty busy with the year about to end, so she's had to stay over a few times in the past week. I figure I'll check in on her, let her know what I'm up to, and see if she's ready to go too so I can get a ride. At first I felt guilty about telling her I was moving back home, but she acted like she's genuinely happy for me. I'll miss her though, I mean I'm sure we'll still see each other, but it won't be the same. These next few days are all I have, and I'll admit I'm eager to tell her about what just happened, she'll help make sense of it and get me feeling right again.

When I get to the guidance office I go in, but as soon as I'm through the waiting area I can hear she's in her office with someone. Normally I'd leave, it's not like it's any of my business, but I hesitate long enough to hear that it's my dad.

"I just wanted you to know he'll be okay." He continues, finishing a sentence he obviously started before I arrived. Immediately I realize they're talking about me, which makes sense, and I'm more interested than before.

"For his sake I really hope that's true, Jason, but that still doesn't give you the right to come here like this." She scolds, the sound of her heels hitting the carpet as she no doubt makes the rounds between her desk and her filing cabinets.

"You weren't answering my calls." His voice is slightly louder than hers, and I can visualize him standing just shy of the doorway.

"I was planning to call you when I got a free minute. Don't get me wrong, this is definitely a conversation I planned on having, but I've been busy." More movement, an attempt to keep herself occupied, perhaps. "So are you, I hear. Congratulations on your win, councilman."

"It was a close race." Dad tells her. I'm not much into politics and I never bothered keeping up with his campaign, but I guess I'm happy he won. I still think it's a waste of time, and I'm not entirely sure what he hopes to accomplish, but I know it's something he really wanted.

"Yes, I saw. I actually caught the speech you gave right before the election, I think it went a long way. Were you talking about Jonah? It seemed pretty emotional." The room goes quiet as she undoubtedly stands still, probably staring at him. Unfortunately I have no idea what speech she's talking about, but whatever it is has obviously impressed her, so I trust it.

"Of course." He confirms.

"That's what I figured. I've got to say, I like this new side I'm seeing, I'm proud of you." A chair squeaks when she sits down, and after a second I hear him do the same. They're both quiet for a minute, and knowing her the way I do I feel like she's debating on something, but whatever it is she makes her choice. "The truth is I want to believe you've changed, but I think my personal feelings might make me a little biased. Jonah's such an extraordinary young man, and I've become very attached to him since he's been staying with me, I hope you can understand why I'm nervous."

"I'm grateful for you taking him in, Lilah, but he's my son. What I did was bad, I know that, and I've got a lot of work to do—with him, with myself—but I promise you he'll be safe with me." The way he says it is so sure, enough to convince even the most strong-willed skeptic, yet I'm apparently the only one who takes him at his word.