18. What He Means to Me

My day gets considerably better after I leave school to be with Brent. This thing with Grace isn't something I can just get over, so it's not perfect, but it gives me hope that the new life I'm stepping into won't be any worse than the one I'm leaving behind. Everybody has to shed their skin sooner or later, and maybe I shouldn't be so scared of shedding mine. Brent finds ways of making me laugh no matter where we go, first when we grab a bite to eat, then at the movie we go see after. I really like him, and I like who I am when we're together, so despite what everyone seems to think I must be doing something right. How can it be wrong when he makes me feel this way?

Like I said, it doesn't solve all my problems, I'll still try to figure out how to get through all this, but for now I'm okay. No matter what it costs me, in the end it'll have been worth it. I wonder how much I'm worth to Brent. He had been kicking my feet playfully under the table the whole time we were at the restaurant, and he held my hand in the theatre, so I have to mean something to him. Maybe I should just take him at his word and believe it when he tells me I'm important. I still have my doubts, it's all so new and I know I would be fucked if he disappeared tomorrow, but I have to trust him.

It's way too soon when he has to go, but we both know he needs to hurry back to get ready for the game with the rest of his team. I've got some time to kill, so I decide to head home and clean up before I take my rightful place in the stands to support him. At first I was a little worried about being a distraction today, but when we part ways he seems a great deal happier than when we left school together. That makes me happy too, I'm glad to learn just how much he likes hanging out with me. It's almost enough to convince me that my day can get back to being somewhat decent, but as soon as I get to my house I'm reminded of just how unlucky I actually am.

There's an extra car sitting in the driveway, and even if I didn't already know who it belonged to I'm treated to a familiar and unwelcome sound when I open the door. The deep yet shrill chime of Ms. Montgomery's voice comes from somewhere inside, and for a brief second I consider turning around and walking right back out. Instead I take a deep breath and venture into the living room where we spot each other immediately. She stands up and straightens her skirt, offering a smile in response to the blank stare I give her. Things hadn't gone over so well the last time she was here.

"Hi, Jonah. Are you just getting back from school?" She asks, glancing at her watch to see what time it is. It's a loaded question, I'm not sure if she's trying to catch me in a lie, or if she's just being her usual nosy self.

"It's been a long day." Fortunately I'm a quick thinker and I'm able to give a reply that won't incriminate me either way. I wonder if maybe one of my teachers had mentioned my absence to her, it would explain why she's here. Either that or she's getting ready to go on another date with my dad, and honestly I'm not sure which I'd prefer.

"Is that him?" Dad calls from somewhere around the corner, and when he comes into view, drying his hands on a dish towel, he makes sure to stand a little taller. "Good, you're home, I was expecting you half an hour ago. Hurry and wash up, I need you to set the table."

"Wait, what's going on?" This isn't going to end well, I already know it.

"I invited Lilah to have dinner with us." He's so certain in the way he says it, as if he's not the least bit concerned about what I might think. The sympathetic smile Ms. Montgomery offers implies that she does, but I hardly grace her with a look before I focus back on my dad.

"I can't. I mean, I already made plans." I try to be cool about it, I try to make it sound like this has nothing to do with my personal feelings.

"Well cancel them, this is more important." There's no leniency, his mind is already made up and he's unwilling to compromise. That's fine, I knew it would turn into a fight, what's one more when that's all we've been doing lately anyway? Yet I've apparently earned myself an ally, even though I don't remember extending an olive branch.