22 | Silent Violence

Comenzar desde el principio

Iliana glanced towards Callias, her frown deeping.

"Who is that?"

He tore his gaze away, meeting her eyes with that frustrating, blank expression of his.

"You don't know?" he asked.

"If I did," she drawled, crossing her arms. "I wouldn't ask, would I?"

Callias fell silent, then shrugged. His eyes flicked back to the picture, prompting hers to do the same. The couple consisted of a slender and elegant looking young woman, and a large, broad man. As was the style in these sort of paintings, the woman was sitting down with her knees tucked to the side, her fanciful dress puffed out around her. Her coal colored hair hung in curls to her shoulders. The artist had taken their time to add detail to the woman's features--which were stunningly beautiful.

The man in the painting was standing, but unlike in most, he didn't look to the artist. His face was tilted down towards the woman, his eyes focused on her alone. His gaze implied devotion, which was no doubt the purpose of his pose. He was tall, towering well over the back of the girl's chair, and was depicted as muscular, as if he'd devoted his entire life to training. His skin was a dark, sun-kissed tan and his hair golden blond.

"The late king and queen," Callias said, his tone sounding disinterested. He fell silent for a heartbeat, then he continued. "It's been said they were the most beloved royal couple Eol has ever seen. Sure, many of them like their current king, but there isn't near the level of devotion that those two received. They wouldn't riot over him like they did when Akaikos died."

His words pulled the story to the forefront of her mind. There were few people in the world who hadn't heard of King Akaikos, and his Reotakian bride, Queen Asha. It was a love story, or at least, it'd seemed to be at the time. The couple had met on the day of their political marriage, and according to the stories, fallen in love at first sight. Queen Asha had gained the loyalty of her people through her charitable attitude and almost saint-like nature.

The country had been devastated when Akaikos was murdered, and Asha deemed his assassin.

"Anything related to Asha's outlawed here," Iliana murmured. So, of course Lykos has her painting in his bedroom.

Callias nodded in confirmation. Pulling his eyes from the very illegal art, he turned his attention to the door once again. Iliana had little doubt that it was locked. Still, disappointment filled her as he tested the knob and proved her theory.

"Asha reminds me of someone," Iliana stated. "I can't figure out who, though."

He shrugged. "Perhaps you've seen her picture before."

Narrowing her eyes, she considered the possibility. "Not fucking likely. She's illegal, remember? Pictures of her are hard to find."

"Must you?" he asked, stepping back from the door.

"Must I what?" she challenged. His tone was beginning to grate on her. It bordered too close to what she might use to address an irritating toddler for her liking.

"Talk like a sailor."

Before she could release a colorful string of curses meant solely to annoy him, Callias suddenly kicked the door. His foot connected to the lock beneath the knob, tearing it from the cheap metal casing.

"The fuck?" Iliana gasped.

The door slammed against the wall with a resounding bang. Ignoring the fact he'd most likely drawn the attention of the entire Unseen Hand, Callias strolled casually into the hallway. He glanced to the right, then the left, then over his shoulder at where she stood, gaping.